Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rocketmiles and Companion Pass

fbanctel
Explorer C

We are 9000 points short for the 2019 companion pass and after doing some research, it appears that booking a hotel through Rocketmiles may be an option to get some more points.  Does anyone have insight on how long they take to post to your account?  I have seen from a few days to a week after your stay, but wanted to see if someone has more recent data.  Also, Rocketmiles shows that you can pay a premium to get point "boost" or "ultra boost".  Do these count toward companion pass as well?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Rocketmiles and Companion Pass

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@fbanctel wrote:

We are 9000 points short for the 2019 companion pass and after doing some research, it appears that booking a hotel through Rocketmiles may be an option to get some more points.  Does anyone have insight on how long they take to post to your account?  I have seen from a few days to a week after your stay, but wanted to see if someone has more recent data.  Also, Rocketmiles shows that you can pay a premium to get point "boost" or "ultra boost".  Do these count toward companion pass as well?

I'm not familiar with Rocketmiles so I can't speak to them specifically about their boost.

Timing-wise you'd want to get the stay completed soon as the published window to post points is up to 8 weeks, although it is frequently faster than that.

I'm not sure how Rocketmiles boosted points would work with Southwest RR, hopefully someone else on the community can weigh in on that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

AdamH
Retired Community Manager

Hey there!

I've had some personal experience booking with Rocketmiles. Obviously every transaction is different and cannot guarantee you will have the same experience. However, looking back at my most recent Rocketmiles hotel stay, I completed my stay on 5/29 and the points were posted to my account on 6/1. Hopefully you will experience a similar turnaround time! 

As for the boost, if you pay extra for the points boost, those points will count as well. Hope that helps! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@AdamH

My understanding is that RocketMiles and the Southwest hotels link are run by the same organization. You're confirming that hotel stays booked either way earn CP qualifying RR points? I had previously assumed you had to go through southwest.com.

Thanks!

--TheMiddleSeat

ordoinc
Explorer B

I can confirm that the boost added to a hotel transaction on Rocketmiles is indeed Companion Pass Qualifying (currently).  I would imagine that this could change at any time, especially since Southwest is making it harder to earn Companion Pass in 2020 (125,000 points instead of 110,000 points).  However, I was just under 17,000 points away from 110,000 for 2019 to earn 2020 Companion Pass, and was going to visit family over Christmas with my girlfriend.  Originally was only going to spend two of the three nights in a hotel since the first night she wasn't going to be along and I could've just stayed on my parents' couch.  However, I found Rocketmiles and saw the boost and vague assurances from others that boosts purchased through Rocketmiles were Companion Pass Qualifying points.  Two nights weren't going to get me enough points available for purchase of a boost, but three nights would.  So I booked my hotel stay through Rocketmiles, added a 17,000 point boost (which more than doubled the total price per night), to check in December 22nd and check out December 25th.  This morning, December 28th, the points posted to my account and I earned my first ever Companion Pass!  Hopefully they continue to let Rocketmiles count towards Companion Pass because it is very hard to earn it on credit card spending and flights alone.  In 2020 I am going to do a much better job trying to maximize my qualifying points earnings through Southwest partners and hopefully earn Companion Pass again in 2021.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ordoinc thanks for the report and congratulations on earning the Companion Pass!

--TheMiddleSeat