Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW Credit Card for spouse as primary

geekdevil
Explorer C

Hi,

We are planning to get SW CC under my spouse's name as primary since I already have a decent number of cards however my wife only has 1. However, my account has the most points (~20K). We are targeting to reach the companion pass. If we apply for a card under her can we still somehow use my points to be counted towards or I have to be the primary cardholder?

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thank You!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SW Credit Card for spouse as primary

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The card owner gets the points; in other words, if the card is in her name, the points go in her RR account.

That said, you can be an additional card holder and spend on the card, but they still will post to her account.  The opposite can also happen: get the card in your name and add her as an additional card holder, and you will get the points.

What is your specific goal?

-A List, Companion Pass holder

geekdevil
Explorer C

My specific goals are to reach the companion pass eligibility.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@geekdevil But it sounds like you want to be the ones who earns it with your wife being your companion...is that correct?

-A List, Companion Pass holder

geekdevil
Explorer C

Yes, that would be ideal. Bec my account has RR around 20k while hers is almost nothing.

However, if it is another way around where she is primary of companion pass would work if somehow we can utilize my 20k points towards the companion pass eligibility

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

There's no way to have your points count towards CP earning done with a credit card in which with your wife is the primary card holder. Also, just to make sure you understand, all of the points required to earn CP must be earned within the Jan 1, 2020 through Dec 31, 2020 time period. Points earned prior to Jan 1, 2020 do not count. Southwest has reduced the required number of points you must earn this year by giving all Rapid Rewards account holders a "boost" of 25,000 points, meaning you only need to earn 100,000 points this year to earn CP. Those 25,000 points are reflected in your CP earning progress, but are not usable for travel.

--TheMiddleSeat

geekdevil
Explorer C

Thank you so much. This helps quite a bit. So I think best would be to get CC for myself a primary cardholder and working reaching that companion pass rather this year than next.