Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I think the better question is: who has 50,000 - 100,000 + of RR points in their Southwest account and does not have any activity for *two entire years*? I can barely keep 10,000 in my account, I am always booking flights!

Some travelers use a strategy the earns them a bunch of points such as paying for flights for awhile and getting credit card bonuses, then they switch to burning/using points so in theory if someone flies for free for 24 months and has no earning activity their account would become inactive and they would lose any remaining points.  In those instances someone could have a lot of points lost as points need to be earned within the 24 month period to keep the account active.  It's always a good idea to be familiar with the terms and conditions of any rewards program you are enrolled in.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'd also suspect it's likely the points were earned as a credit card sign up bonus. "Churners" will often close their accounts quickly, so that they can open another and get the bonus again (and not run afoul of Chase's 5/24 limit). Which is ironic, since leaving the account open would guarantee you never lose any points. 😉

jksobonya
Aviator A

I've heard of people getting credit cards for the points, and then closing them, rinse and repeat multiple times ... that practice seems a little ... dishonest, to say the least. Despite that, the SWA CC has tempted me more than once to sign up for it. I have not given in to temptation :catwink: 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I've heard of people getting credit cards for the points, and then closing them, rinse and repeat multiple times ... that practice seems a little ... dishonest, to say the least. Despite that, the SWA CC has tempted me more than once to sign up for it. I have not given in to temptation :catwink: 

Well people,can't, as you say"rinse and reeat," as Chase ony lets peope earn bonus points once every 24 months

dfwskier
Aviator A

It's easy to earn points to  keep an account active.

I know of a person who is keeping the account of a deceased person alive. It has over 100,000 points in it. She just bought $30 worth of cat liter thru Southwest shopping -- thus earning 30 points that will keep the account active for another 24 months.