Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest 24 month bonus rule

MDW-CLE
Explorer C

Hi all - 

I opened up a Southwest credit card in January 2019 and earned the 30k bonus on my February statement (statement ending 2/27/19). I am trying to determine when I can open up a new Southwest credit card to earn a new bonus without being limited by the 24-month rule.

The current offer is Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 9 months from account opening. Offer ends 2/8/21.

Am I able to apply for the new offer before it ends, knowing that I won't spend the $2,000 and get the 50k bonus until March or April 2021 (which would be more than 24 months after my last bonus?)

Any assistance would be appreciated. Just trying to figure out if there is anyway to get this offer before it ends, knowing my last bonus date. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Southwest 24 month bonus rule

dfwskier
Aviator A

Chase's terms and conditions say: The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months."

So, 

1) if you still have your old card, you are not eligible

2)You will not be eligible for the bonus until 24 months plus one day from the day you got your last bonus.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Chase's terms and conditions say: The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months."

So, 

1) if you still have your old card, you are not eligible

2)You will not be eligible for the bonus until 24 months plus one day from the day you got your last bonus.

Just to beat a dead horse: the offer says it is not available if you received a bonus in the last 24 months, so that would be when you received the bonus in February 2019 if I’m understanding the timing. Also you’ll need to cancel your current card if you still have it before applying. 

Timing isn’t between bonuses, it’s between the prior bonus and accepting the offer for the new bonus is how I read it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Southwest 24 month bonus rule

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

It's been a while back, but I have to admit I did just this.  The only thing is I closed out a credit card to do this, so your process would be a bit different.  I thought I was pulling a good one over SWA, which I kind of did, however, only later to learn that opening and closing credit cards like that also hurts your credit rating....I'd give anything to give the points back to have kept my score from being messed with.  I don't say this to scare you on behalf of SWA, I just wanted you and others to know.  

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Thanks 007, That's good information for everyone to know.

I am a Sailor