Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest-Chase VISA Card...bait & switch

4speedfunk
Explorer C

So after waiting for seven months for my points to appear...I contacted both Southwest and Chase to find out what the hold-up was.  I am planning some vacation flights this winter and was looking forward to using these points.

Of course I got passed back and forth, and both companies were finger-pointing at each other...telling me to call the other.  After numerous emails and phone calls with both Southwest and Chase, I finally found a phone rep at Chase that told my I did not meet the purchase requirement of $2000 in the first three months, so I would not be getting my 60,000 reward points.  I informed her I did not sign up for a 60,000 point bonus.  It was 40,000 points and I had to spend only $1000 in the first three months....which I had done.  I read off my first three statement totals proving that.  About this time is when I Googled "Southwest Chase Scam" and **bleep** near broke the internet!  Seems I'm not alone.

Long story short...I have cancelled the Chase Southwest card, and it is now cut into pieces and lying in my trash can (where it belongs).  So if you think this sign-up bonus is a good deal...save yourself a huge hassle.  Get the Capital One Venture card.  It does the same thing without all the b.s.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Southwest-Chase VISA Card...bait & switch

dfwskier
Aviator A

This blog is filled with stories like yours. People apply for one Chase card and then somehow manage to apply for a different one instead.

If it had happened to me, I would have been insistent with Chase -- moving higher up the food chain as necessary for resolution.

Sorry it happend to you

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

I'll repeat -- again -- that the specific offer you'll receive is the one associated with the link you use when you apply. Not anything else that you saw in the airport, or read about somewhere, or a friend has. The link shows the specific offer and it's always a good idea to take screenshots of everything for future verification.

Also, don't wait for many months after you've fulfilled the requirements to inquire about your sign up bonus. Know the terms and conditions and if things don't show up on time follow up with Chase (and not Southwest) immediately.

4speedfunk
Explorer C

I applied by a paper form that arrived via USPS mail...not online.  Terms were fully understood when I signed up...and fully changed by Chase after the fact.

Also...where did the "Problem Solved" tag come from on the original post?  Nothing is solved.  This will continue to be a problem for myself many others that fall for this this scam.   If you have to keep repeating the justification over & over...at some point you must realize the problem is not with we (the customers).  Its not any sort of "clarical error" or "misunderstanding" on our behalf.  Chase is deliberately screwing Southwest customers thru their credit card application process.  Period.  Quit trying to blame it on confusion or fine print.  All I can do is spread the word and hope other LUVers don't get baited into this ridiculous credit card offer.

Here's your screen shot...

Greatest offer of all time!Greatest offer of all time!

jksobonya
Aviator A

@4speedfunk wrote:

Its not any sort of "clarical error" or "misunderstanding" on our behalf.  Chase is deliberately screwing Southwest customers thru their credit card application process.  Period.  Quit trying to blame it on confusion or fine print. 

Problem is, these things are almost always due to customer misunderstanding and not reading the fine print of the offer. Always. 

I can't view your screenshot so I can't read the terms of your offer. Is it possible you mailed the offer back after the terms of the offer expired? 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@4speedfunk wrote:

I applied by a paper form that arrived via USPS mail...not online.  Terms were fully understood when I signed up...and fully changed by Chase after the fact.

Also...where did the "Problem Solved" tag come from on the original post?  Nothing is solved.  This will continue to be a problem for myself many others that fall for this this scam.   If you have to keep repeating the justification over & over...at some point you must realize the problem is not with we (the customers).  Its not any sort of "clarical error" or "misunderstanding" on our behalf.  Chase is deliberately screwing Southwest customers thru their credit card application process.  Period.  Quit trying to blame it on confusion or fine print.  All I can do is spread the word and hope other LUVers don't get baited into this ridiculous credit card offer.

Here's your screen shot...

Greatest offer of all time!Greatest offer of all time!

If you applied using a printed form, then I assume you kept copies of that form, which shows the promotional offer you applied for?

If so, and Chase refused to honor the promotion, and you've escalated your complaint without satisfaction at Chase, then you should file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

taxgeek
Explorer C

It's not solved!!! They are still scaming people. 

taxgeek
Explorer C

Yes chgoflyer the link specifically tells the applicant they are choosing $60K point for spending $3K in 3 months. But the applicant only receives $10K points after meeting the specified requirements. (My personal and several friends situation) You posted elsewhere that purchaser should keep screen prints. Applicants don't get the screen prints because we believed (not anymore) that SW is an ethical company. I saw one post where the applicant was able to prove she selected the correct link and get her points but only after getting the data out of her computer. They will honor it, but only if the applicant is tech savey enough to prove they chose the correct credit card application link.