Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest/Chase, please help

Drogers4444
Explorer C

I feel I've been wronged by Southwest/chase. In January 2022 I applied for the rapid rewards card promotion of spend 5K in 3 months to receive a companion pass. I completed the task within the 3 month period. My wife and I booked 4 flights in the coming months with Southwest in December of 2021 because we needed to plan ahead. With the expectation of the companion pass we anticipated a purchase of tickets to Costa Rica. The Problem: Chase/Southwest said I applied for a different promotion, miles instead of the pass. The promotion ended between the 2 week period between our wedding March 5 and our honeymoon travel which began March 19. I contacted Southwest late March upon return and was told to wait 7-10 days about getting the companion pass. No reply. I contacted Southwest who said that I should contact Chase. Chase said that because the promo is over we're out of luck and that nothing can be done. We have been hurt by this airline and bank. I was told that if the promotion comes again that I could reapply. Meaning I would have spent double or whatever the promotion calls for to reach the companion pass. This is not the way to start a relationship. I gave over 100%, I put the promotion of the companion pass on social media for friends and family. My new son-in law already received his card promotion while I have not. What did I do wrong? I sent Southwest copies of all the promos that I've received in the past 3 months. If I made and error it is clear what my intentions were. Why does a promotion end date signify the end of rational sense when servicing customers who have initiated a contract that binds 3 parties? During the pandemic I'm sure concessions were made with customers for far, far less. Now the money is coming back in and the feeling is your business is not as important, because business is back! The issue is that I'm not asking for a concession. I'm just asking for what I  earned.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Southwest/Chase, please help

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Your beef is with Chase and you should direct all requests/inquires to them.  Based on past discussions it's doubtful anything will change and you can decide if you want to continue your relationship with Chase or not.

--TheMiddleSeat

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Unfortunately Chase is really the entity that your beef is with. The best strategy to get what you signed up for is to refer to what ever electronic trail you created in the sign up process. Promotional Email you responded to maybe? Confirmation email you received on signing up? Documents that arrived with your cards? basically every scrap of communication you have. 

Beyond that I don't believe you have much to go to Southwest directly with to appeal your status

Best of luck

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Drogers4444 wrote:

Sorry to ear of your troubles.

The Problem: Chase/Southwest said I applied for a different promotion, miles instead of the pass.

Regrettably, this type of thing happens all too often where people think they are applying for one type of promotion and the bank says they signed up for a different one. Unless you happened to take screen shots during the application process, I'm not sure what you can do.

Southwest airlines has nothing to do with this. Chase is in complete control of it.  Southwest's involvement is pretty simple. Chase buys points and promotions (like companion pass) from Southwest, and then Chase tells Southwest when points or passes are earned. Then Southwest adds the points or passes to the consumer's account. That's it.

I was told that if the promotion comes again that I could reapply.

Regrettably, whoever told you that is wrong. Chase's terms and conditions are pretty clear: you can only earn one credit card bonus every 24 months, So if you really got points, then you can't earn another Chase promotion for 24 months from the day you got points.

Why does a promotion end date signify the end of rational sense when servicing customers who have initiated a contract that binds 3 parties?  

That's a good question, and the only one that can answer it is Chase. If I were you, I would contact and elevate up the customer service food chain. If that fails I would write to Chase's CEO.

I hope you have success

gcocas
Explorer C

I signed up for the same offer spent over 5k 2wks after opening my card to ensure once statement closed i got my offer. Clld Chase whom said my statement closed and I have to wait until next month. I asked why the 5800 spent on ccard was tranx in points not the 30k bonus or the CP. They said wait to next, for which I think there is a system issue and maybe my offer is not connected.

They are tellng me i have to wait. I opened my acct 3/6 by 3/20 i met the 5k, statement closed 4/5 for which they verified i met my quota before statement closed.  But they are saying I have to wait until next month.  Did you get any help from anyone?  I feel this is quite deceptive.