Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest reversed purchase points

unhappyatswa
Explorer C

Twice Southwest has reversed rapid rewards points from purchases from websites when the Rapid Rewards button was activated.

April 30, 2018 535 points at Roadrunnersports

May 5, 2018 -121 points from the 4/30/2018 purchase

June 5, 2018 784 points from Pepboys

July 10, 2018 -766 points re the Pepboys purchase

Neither purchase was returned or modified in any way.

July 17, 2018 submitted inquiry to SWA regarding the points reversal.  Received email reading that a response would be received within 2 business days.  No response received. No action on account.

July 23, 2018 submitted another inquiry to SWA regarding the points reversal and cut and pasted the email confirmation of SWA's receipt of the July 17 inquiry.  New inquiry receipt confirmed by email.

No response received.

Please reply if you've had this same experience.  If common, I'll be lead plaintiff in a class action unfair business practices act lawsuit.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Southwest reversed purchase points

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

First of all, this is a Customer to Customer forum so it's unlikely that anybody from Southwest who can help you is going to see your post.

Now, a little bit of friendly advice. I understand that you're frustrated, but never end a request for help or assistance with a statement like "I'll be lead plaintiff in a class action unfair business practices act lawsuit." Threatening a lawsuit for what is most likely a minor misunderstanding is not only a huge turnoff but seldom works out for the person threatening. Trust me.

That said, were the purchases made with a Chase Rapid Rewards card? If so, have you contacted Chase about this yet?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

That said, were the purchases made with a Chase Rapid Rewards card? If so, have you contacted Chase about this yet?

I have to agree. You see Chase buys points from Southwest. Chase determines how many points it's card holders receive, and then tells Southwest to award those numbers of points. Southwest is not in control of any part of that process.

Also, Southwest has no access to your credit card purchase information. If there is a problem, the problem is most likely on the Chase side of the transaction.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I doubt this has anything to do with Chase. It's most likely that the OP is talking about points earned through Rapid Rewards Shopping.

Rapid Rewards Shopping is a program run by Cartera Commerce, Inc. through a partnership agreement with Southwest. Unfortunately, issues receiving points from Rapid Rewards Shopping are fairly common. Assuming you met the terms and conditions of the specific offer for which you believe you are due points, the first step is to contact them directly. Good luck!

• Who do I contact if I did not receive my points - Rapid Rewards Shopping, Southwest Airlines® or the Retailer?

If you have questions regarding Rapid Rewards points earned with Rapid Rewards Shopping, please use our automated customer service tools located in the Contact Us section of the Rapid Rewards Shopping web site. If you have a question about your order, please contact the retailer directly. Please contact Southwest Airlines if you have questions related to the Rapid Rewards Program or how to enroll in the Rapid Rewards Program.

unhappyatswa
Explorer C

chgoflyer

Thank you for the information.

Used a Key bank debit card, so this has nothing to do with Chase.

Activated the RapidRewards button in Chrome browser, then made the purchases. 

The points were awarded initially, then reversed later.

Seems to me to be an administrative error, but the stonewalling by SWA suggests something else.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Hope SWA does right.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@unhappyatswa wrote:

chgoflyer

Thank you for the information.

Used a Key bank debit card, so this has nothing to do with Chase.

Activated the RapidRewards button in Chrome browser, then made the purchases. 

The points were awarded initially, then reversed later.

Seems to me to be an administrative error, but the stonewalling by SWA suggests something else.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Hope SWA does right.

Just to be clear, I'll repeat that the Southwest Shopping program isn't run by Southwest Airlines -- it's run by a completely separate company (Cartera), and it's Cartera that you need to contact in order to get answers to your questions (see the contact info link I posted earlier). Good luck!

unhappyatswa
Explorer C

chg

Yes, I've used that contact link twice.  The two submissions were acknowledged, but then no follow up.

Even though SWA has subcontracted out the rapidrewards program, SWA is ultimately responsible for the program.

I'll post any followups from SWA.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@unhappyatswa wrote:

chg

Yes, I've used that contact link twice.  The two submissions were acknowledged, but then no follow up.

Even though SWA has subcontracted out the rapidrewards program, SWA is ultimately responsible for the program.

I'll post any followups from SWA.

Southwest will only do what Cartera tells Southwest to do -- add or subtract points. Southwest has no information other than what Catera gives it.

I'd suggest that you e-mail SW customer service with a subject something like "Complaint about Cartera's administration of the SW shopping program."  Give details  of where Cartera is not performing as promised. Ask SW to intervene and ask Cartera to get it's act together.