Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen Rapid Rewards

lader277
Explorer C

This morning I received an email saying I used 101k of my points to buy a reward (3/4/23  on Saturday morning). I did not use my points.

There was a message at the bottom of the email:

If you have questions regarding this order, call us at 1-800-833-4861. I called to indicate this was not me and they only take calls M-F. 

I called Customer service and after being on hold for a very long time and placing a complaint, I was told someone would be in touch in 7-10 days with "my options". Reading previous blogs, it looks like the terms are not in the consumer favor and they talk about technology that SWA uses to prevent this.

Why does google or your credit card send you a notification when you use them or login with an OPTION indicating "was this you". With the technology at this time, why is SWA not providing consumers with that kind of protection and just leave us to be the victims; or at least have a number you can call immediately to stop that reward use instead of M-F. This could be a big cost prevention for Rapid Rewards and not leave the loyal customers as the victim. Is this SWA not investing in technology to protect the consumer like with the recent holiday fiasco with their outdated system.

Don't get me wrong, I love SWA but am getting disappointed in the recent trend on how the customers are beginning to suffer more.  I feel like the people making decisions are losing touch with the true customer base.

Again, this isn't a rant about SWA, they may very well take care of this and I will let you know. I do feel like they could do more to help prevent this, just by a simple "did you approve this" email/notification and have less loss.

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Stolen Rapid Rewards

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hope you get the points back, it probably helps that you acted so quickly.  Yes, two factor authentication would be a nice step when making points transactions.  Hopefully you write Southwest and encourage it.  Use the contact us link below and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

lader277
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely hoping so.

I have been reading in a lot of blogs where this has been happening a lot since 2017/2018 and of course they have the verbiage in their contract that releases them form liability. What makes me disappointed in SWA is to see that this has been going on for so long and to so many people that they haven't taken the simple steps over the last few years to offer the 2 factor authentication or some sort of verification process to help protect their consumers. 

The appearance of it all is definitely in SWA favor. You get your points/miles stolen and they say "not our responsibility" and then they don't have to worry about you collecting on those points. They have no true incentive to protect their consumers on that aspect. I got the SWA credit card and use it primarily based on my ability to acquire points/miles. I spent over 100k for those miles and for SWA not to have some sort of protection for the consumer is not pleasing. 

We will see what happens. Obviously, if SWA does nothing I won't be using their card anymore and would completely warn others to be aware of the liability that comes with using the SWA card and the lack of protection of your points.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I basically lost the rewards of 100k I spent to acquire and am flabbergasted at the lack of their consumers. It just doesn't sit well.

Thanks

dfwskier
Aviator A

You might want to file a policed report. Also, theft might be covered by your homeowners / renters policy - subject to any dedcuctable 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

FYI, not using the credit card only impacts Chase, the issuer of the credit card, not Southwest. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I understand you are frustrated, but it is extremely premature to declare that Southwest does not care. You were notified of the transaction on Saturday, it is now Monday. Southwest said they would respond in 7-10 days, it has not even been one full business day. You've got to have a bit of patience. 

--TheMiddleSeat

lader277
Explorer C

Very true.

However, we do take trips (not on flight miles) with SWA and would then go back to United. SWA would lose revenue at least from me and my family of 5. 

Plus, it would be more bad publicity for SWA if they didn't refund as my wife would be posting about it on social media with their response. While I am nothing to them, it would highlight how they continue to let down their consumers, especially with all of their recent news. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Online blogs are filled with stories of people that threaten to not fly (insert airline name here) ever again  -- thousands of them - on every airline.

I am sorry for your loss, but expecting your threat to really be noticed amongst all the other threats that are out there is simply not realistic

c.

lader277
Explorer C

My real hope here that SWA actual took notice and put into place mechanisms to protect their consumers and provide me with a little hope in big business.