Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Stolen points

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rneiderauer wrote:

I just logged in to rapid rewards and lost all of my points. I called Southwest and they said someone hacked my account and used my 100,000 points on More Rewards for gift cards! Of course More Rewards is closed on weekends so I can't even report it! What can be done? Southwest says they can do nothing even though More Rewards is their program. I didn't even know what More Rewards was. I been saving points for a long time for a trip.

Sorry to hear that your points were stolen.

1) File a police report. You lost about $1500 in value

2) Having an e-mail trail is important. Send SW an e-mail notifying it of the theft and tell the company that you want the point reinstated.

3) Change your RR password

To send an e-mail click on contact us at the bottom of this page, and then pick e-mail from the contact choices listed on the top left of the ensuing page. Reports from others seem to indicate that it takes a fair amount of time for the airline to investigate the theft.

Good luck.

Good luck

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're so sorry to hear that, @rneiderauer. As a peer to peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to contact Customer Relations via the "Email us" or phone number found in the options below. Thanks! 

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

my5sons
Explorer C

Add me to the list of others who has experienced stolen points.  I happened to log in to my SW account this morning and noticed that 147,000 points had been stolen to purchase 14 $100 gift cards to Target.  Someone changed my primary e-mail address, mailing address and phone number.  I can see the exact address the cards are being shipped to.  I see the e-mail address and phone number used.  The order is showing as "pending."  I spent over 2 hours on the phone waiting to speak with someone.  Once I reached an agent, I was forwarded to a service coordinator.  Then, he spoke with the Fraud Department and transferred me to someone in Customer Relations.  She helped me reset my account and fix my primary e-mail, etc.  Unfortunately, I'm told that the "Business Integrity Department" will look in to this on Monday (2 days from now) and will get back to me via e-mail in 7-10 business days.  Meanwhile, the order for the gift cards is showing as PENDING.  I'm trying to be proactive so the order can be cancelled or frozen.  I'm told that since it's a third party there is nothing they can do.  There is no way to cancel the order.  If I receive a generic response from the Business Integrity Department in 7-10 business days similar to things I've read in this thread I will lose my mind.  Seeing the response on 9/9/19 that "Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member's Account and will not replace stolen points or awards" will be completely unacceptable.  The gift cards have not even shipped yet.  The address of the thief is different than mine and there is nothing I can do to stop this order from shipping.  I need help and Southwest clearly needs to fix something so this story will not continue to be played out over and over and over.

bec102896
Aviator A

@my5sons wrote:

Add me to the list of others who has experienced stolen points.  I happened to log in to my SW account this morning and noticed that 147,000 points had been stolen to purchase 14 $100 gift cards to Target.  Someone changed my primary e-mail address, mailing address and phone number.  I can see the exact address the cards are being shipped to.  I see the e-mail address and phone number used.  The order is showing as "pending."  I spent over 2 hours on the phone waiting to speak with someone.  Once I reached an agent, I was forwarded to a service coordinator.  Then, he spoke with the Fraud Department and transferred me to someone in Customer Relations.  She helped me reset my account and fix my primary e-mail, etc.  Unfortunately, I'm told that the "Business Integrity Department" will look in to this on Monday (2 days from now) and will get back to me via e-mail in 7-10 business days.  Meanwhile, the order for the gift cards is showing as PENDING.  I'm trying to be proactive so the order can be cancelled or frozen.  I'm told that since it's a third party there is nothing they can do.  There is no way to cancel the order.  If I receive a generic response from the Business Integrity Department in 7-10 business days similar to things I've read in this thread I will lose my mind.  Seeing the response on 9/9/19 that "Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member's Account and will not replace stolen points or awards" will be completely unacceptable.  The gift cards have not even shipped yet.  The address of the thief is different than mine and there is nothing I can do to stop this order from shipping.  I need help and Southwest clearly needs to fix something so this story will not continue to be played out over and over and over.

Sorry to hear your points were stolen. 

The gift cards are done though a third party company named more rewards. I would reach out to them and see if they have a way to stop the order since its not shipped yet. 

Good Luck

Blake

my5sons
Explorer C

I messaged them yesterday and have an alarm set to call them when they reopen at 7am central time tomorrow.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I filed a police report and submitted a claim with the US Postal Inspection service.  The thief has used additional points to have the order expedited (2 day shipping vs. the 4-6 business days) and clearly knew what he/she was doing by placing the order early Saturday morning knowing that nobody would be able to cancel the order until 2 days later.

my5sons
Explorer C

Well, today is a better day.  I called Southwest More Rewards Customer Service at 8am Eastern time (the moment they opened) 800-833-4861.  Fortunately for me, the order had not shipped over the weekend and they were able to cancel the order and restore all of my points.  I asked them to put a block on my account to make sure this never happens again and was told they have no way to do that.  I was encouraged to ask Southwest about that possibility.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@my5sons wrote:

Well, today is a better day.  I called Southwest More Rewards Customer Service at 8am Eastern time (the moment they opened) 800-833-4861.  Fortunately for me, the order had not shipped over the weekend and they were able to cancel the order and restore all of my points.  I asked them to put a block on my account to make sure this never happens again and was told they have no way to do that.  I was encouraged to ask Southwest about that possibility.  

Thar's great!

As mentioned earlier, MoreRewards is not part of SW. It is a different company. That's why they could not block your account as they don't have access to it.

In the meantime, I'd suggest changing your Southwest password.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

@my5sons wrote:

We're sorry to hear this but glad More Rewards was able to help, @my5sons ! As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but check out the steps below. Thanks!

Suspect there is unauthorized activity in your Rapid Rewards account? 

Nicole
Community Manager

dow44
Explorer C

Sounds like Southwest should allow customers to disallow those type of transactions on their account just like other sites allow you to set parameters. 

This is a little disturbing to find out that Southwest's site is not secure.

As an A-List Preferred that logs into Southwest's "insecure" wifi on the plane using my credentials, this is a little disturbing that it can be hacked that easily.

As an example, send a confirmation text before the points can be used for any type of transaction.

Better yet, setup 2-factor authentication.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@dow44 The WIFi login page where Members put in their credentials is secure so their information could not have been pulled from inflight. Typically these situations occur when someone gains access to a Rapid Rewards Member's login credentials and successfully authenticate with the correct username or password. 

We appreciate your suggestion. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out to our official Customer Service channels via the options in the link below. Thank you.

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager