Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen points

patgies
Explorer C

I used to be a big fan of southwest!! Told all my family and friends about their rapid rewards program. Used my card all the time to get as many points as I could. I had around 110,000 points and when I went on a week ago to finally book us our trip I could not get on my account. I called and found out someone had hacked my account and booked 4 tickets in December and flew in my name. They changed my email so I got no notice about any tickets. Southwest will not refund or do anything for me since they flew in my name! All my points are gone!! Beware your points are not safe!!

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Stolen points

bec102896
Aviator A

Well if they can find out where the ticket was booked (IP ADDRESS, or over the phone) and  find the person you can press charges against the person as it is a federal crime to use someone else's points

i am sorry this happened to you and I would call customer relations again at 855-234-4654 (if you haven't yet) and I hope you can get your account back. 

Good Luck!

Blake 

patgies
Explorer C

called back for the third time... at least the last person I talked to was very nice and said she would try to see if she could help me. She sent another report to fraud so we'll see if anything happens.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @patgies,

I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. You did the right thing calling Customer Relations - this is definitely a situation that would require their involvement to resolve. 

patgies
Explorer C

Called again.... it's the 5th time now. I talked to Katie Clouston... she was extremely helpful and very considerate. She again entered another report to fraud detailing that 2 of the tickets were flown on the same day within hours of each other from 2 different states. Pretty sure someone stole the points and sold the tickets to others. Which also means more than one fake ID in my name was made. I was told that you can put a security word on your account. I strongly advise everyone to do that.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, since points can be used to book flights for anyone, no fake ID is needed. Anyone with access to any account with a points balance can use those points to book flights for anyone else. Use a strong password, and keep that password secure. (And even that isn't foolproof, as you've found.) 😞

patgies
Explorer C

It's not needed except that than they have a name from the ticket... so they booked them in my name using my info so there is no way to trace it back to them.... AND it doesn't matter how strong your password is.. they called in and changed the email address than just put in forgot password and they were able to make a new password... and I still have not heard back from southwest... so guessing I probably will never get my points back...

patgies
Explorer C

It's sad but true... Southwest will not give you back any points it your points get stolen....

kevist04
Explorer C

Actually since Southwest does not allow use of two factor authentication, the best password in the world isn't going to help you. Something abouit their system specifically is allowing very easy access behind the scenes. My RR account has been hacked twice in a year and I use full length random passwords stored in an encrypted manager. Both times the attacker was able to change the account information without an email being sent to me. There's little we can do about points, but never keep your CC stored on Southwest.com and don't think that a strong password is going to help you, it hasn't helped me.

patgies
Explorer C

It's sad but everyone needs to know that your points are not safe and Southwest does not care if your points get stolen. We saved up for a very long time and just like that they were all gone! And they know it's fraud because I wouldn't book 2 tickets in my name and fly from 2 different places on the same day!!! But it's not their problem! Everyone I talk to says other airlines will reimburse you. I'm telling everyone I can... my friends are all done with it too...