Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Super excited to be here. Just asking for tips for companion pass.

Dmolina3715
Explorer C

I love traveling and was excited that southwest did the companion pass offer this year for so cheap. 

Every person has different experiences so I’m asking how do you find the best way to reach the $5,000 in 3 months faster? I’m already going to use it for my rent and potentially a MacBook Pro. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Super excited to be here. Just asking for tips for companion pass.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you have any home repairs or upgrades you could use the card for those purchases. 

The weekly trip to the grocery store or daily coffee would also help. You can get to the $5,000 fast if you have stuff you have to buy. 

Going on vacation in the future maybe prepay for it with the card that way when it comes time to travel you can use the companion pass to get you there if you reached the spend requirement by then. 

The other crazy idea I heard from someone else is they bought $3,000 in airline tickets in their name that way when they go to book flights they want in the next year they can use the travel funds. One thing to note with this method is the funds expire in a year from when they bought those tickets so if something came up and they couldn't travel or didn't use all the funds they would throw away a ton of money so personally I wouldn't go that route. 

-Blake

cariposadar17
Explorer C

I'm just curious, I recently just got a SW RW card and I didn't see anything about spending 5,000 and receiving a CC.

Was this a special offer? 

gsking
Aviator C

All good tips.  If you want to be really crafty, buy refundable hotel stays and cancel them after you get your CP.

I prepaid for a bunch of vacations before the 1/31 deadline to get 30% extra points.   Had to cancel some in February due to Covid closing Tahiti.   But I still got the point bonus. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'd add payments for home and auto insurance, and maybe taxes - yeah you'll probably have to pay a credit card fee for tax payments, but what you get in points pretty well nets that out.

Utilities??

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Good idea, @gsking, but note that not all hotel booking charge your card in advance -- especially if you book directly with the chain. 

Also, I have found that services that allow you to pay rent or mortgage with a credit card are not work the fee -- it doesn't balance out, at least not for me personally.

That said, my approach is simple: put literally every expense that is payable by credit card on the card and then pay it off at the end of the month. I use it essentially like a debit card -- gas, bills, dining, groceries, any shopping, etc. 

Based on your monthly expenditure, you could still need to get more creative, OR this may easily get you there.  If you have things on autopay on other cards, it may take some work. But it is worth it!

Good luck. Enjoy the CP; it is an amazing perk!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jj1814
Adventurer C

My wife and I got CP (on my card) within 3 weeks of receiving the card number. It was really easy, but we just made everyday purchases and paid the card off by the time the bill came. Also, immediately after being approved, I asked Chase to expedite my card as we were leaving town in a couple of days, and I wanted the card for our spending.

Liceu
Explorer C

I have spend and paid the $5,000. I wonder when will Southwest get that from Chase, and give the companion pass?? Maybe after the next statement date??

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Liceu wrote:

I have spend and paid the $5,000. I wonder when will Southwest get that from Chase, and give the companion pass?? Maybe after the next statement date??

Southwest will get the info from Chase shortly after Chase sends you the statement that shows that you passed the spend threshold.