Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Surprise A-List status through June 30, 2020

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Spawn31270

I am not sure I understand your point.  An A-Lisr "status" does not get "wiped out" at the start of each year, but is based on prior year travel.  So one typically keeps or maintains 2020 A-List status based on travel earned during 2019.  It seems as if you are thinking everyone gets wiped to zero and then they have to earn A-List status for 2020 based on 2020 travels? Or is that if you you are thinking that if one has a certain amount of miles accumulated, one should be rewarded for not redeeming their miles and building up a stockpile of points?  Occasionally, people like myself slide off the A-List because I didn't have much travel in the prior year.  That gives more people that did fly a lot an opportunity to board earlier than me.  You may be thinking (correctly) that if a flier doesn't spend their points, then the airline saves money, so let the A-Listers keep their status as long as they are not redeeming?  But that could keep the newest frequent fliers further down the boarding lines.  

Perhaps the reason SWA does A-List status only based on prior year travels is because seats are not assigned, so boarding status is more of a benefit and they are trying to reward the current customers versus working as a travel retirement plan.  (Unfortunately people have tried to use it that way and discover points are maintained only if a paid trip is made once a year or some other ways to earn are completed).

I hope you have good travels whomever you choose.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CareforNOLA wrote:

@Spawn31270

I am not sure I understand your point.  An A-Lisr "status" does not get "wiped out" at the start of each year, but is based on prior year travel.  So one typically keeps or maintains 2020 A-List status based on travel earned during 2019.   

I believe that every airline with a FF program does it in exactly the same way.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Spawn31270 wrote:

I'm a frequent flyer for business and I find it crazy that your A-List membership resets January 1st of every year, you can keep your points, but your status starts as new every January, looks like I'll be flying delta as it carry's over to the following year. Why would I need to start from scratch every year

You don't - if you earn it during 2019 then you keep it through 2020.

Then if you earn it again in 2020 you keep it through 2021. 

I'm not familiar with Delta, but I assume that this type of status operates on the same cycle although the dates could be different.

This is different than anyone that got a promotional offer of A-list which wouldn't automatically carry to the next year, it would have to be earned.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Sorry for any confusion! I've just confirmed that select Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers were awarded promotional A-List status through June 30, 2020 as a ‘thank you’ for their loyalty. This is an exclusive offer only available to targeted Cardmembers.

Nicole
Community Manager

jksobonya
Aviator A

Congrats everyone!! That's one HUGE benefit of opening a SW credit card 😉 

--Jessica

nostresshere
Adventurer C

Not bashing WN, but....

My wife was short a few segments last year so we turned one trip from 2 segments to 4 and did a 4 flight run in December to get A-List.

AND - I opened two cards last year as well.

Would have been nice if we were one of those that were targeted.  Oh well....

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@nostresshere wrote:

Not bashing WN, but....

My wife was short a few segments last year so we turned one trip from 2 segments to 4 and did a 4 flight run in December to get A-List.

AND - I opened two cards last year as well.

Would have been nice if we were one of those that were targeted.  Oh well....

I had lost A-list last year after being very close and earning it several prior years. I was offered a promotional A-list by flying six flights during some period which I did, got the promotional A-list to tide me over, and then eventually earned it permanently applying to this year. 

Keep a lookout for a promotional offer sometime around the end of January.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.