Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Surprise A-List status through June 30, 2020

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Checking my Rapid Rewards account just now, I was surprised to see it showing that I had achieved A-List status, apparently good through June 30th 2020.

I never participated in any kind of status match, or opened a credit card that included a temporary A-List offer. And I haven't received any email notification.

I'm assuming this is too good to be true, and it is an unfortunate infamous Southwest "glitch." But I'm seeing it reported in other forums that other members have received this as well.

The Points Guy believes it to be an extension of goodwill from Southwest. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-elite-status-surprise/ 

Anyone else here see anything similar on their account?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Surprise A-List status through June 30, 2020

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@chgoflyer, I am happy for you but nope.  Not seeing that on my account.  2019 was officially my last A-list preferred or even A-list status.  Happy flying to you, and enjoy the early boarding.  (Fortunately we all arrive at the same time and I will survive in the middle seat, though I will miss my head rest wall in the early mornings.)

SWDigits
Aviator A
Yes, I checked after reading the article, I have it.

Customer | Home airport DCA

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I'm seeing it here, and truly appreciate the sweet gesture (and hoping it sticks!). I did apply for the new SWA card and got companion pass, and it seems others reporting this did too.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

chgoflyer
Aviator A

From what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, it seems like a lot of people received this. I'm amazed that this could be legit. Traditionally A-List is the hardest status to achieve, and must be earned. Even with status challenges from other airlines, it's limited to 3 months. I've never known Southwest to do anything like this before. Truly astonishing.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

From what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, it seems like a lot of people received this. I'm amazed that this could be legit. Traditionally A-List is the hardest status to achieve, and must be earned. Even with status challenges from other airlines, it's limited to 3 months. I've never known Southwest to do anything like this before. Truly astonishing.

I bet that EBCI holders' complaints about getting "c" boarding spots will be soaring for the next 6 months

bec102896
Aviator A

I bet that EBCI holders' complaints about getting "c" boarding spots will be soaring for the next 6 months

And complaints from those who earned A List through the 25 flights/35K points who now have more people to potentially be in front of them. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

And complaints from those who earned A List through the 25 flights/35K points who now have more people to potentially be in front of them. 

Presumably, Southwest's system would give better boarding positions to those who've actually earned A-List than to those who've received it for free through this offer. But, since the ranking criteria within A-List members is something that's known only to Southwest, who knows?

rich1954
Adventurer A

Mine and my wifes both say status pending.

Spawn31270
Explorer C

I'm a frequent flyer for business and I find it crazy that your A-List membership resets January 1st of every year, you can keep your points, but your status starts as new every January, looks like I'll be flying delta as it carry's over to the following year. Why would I need to start from scratch every year