Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tier Qualifying Flight Question - Book but not fly?

rx4flafun
Explorer C

I am one flight short but may not be able to book anything where I can go for fun or biz. Can I just book and pay for a one-way ticket from my home base but not actually fly to make the A-Status qualification before end of year? Thx. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Tier Qualifying Flight Question - Book but not fly?

bec102896
Aviator A

if you didn't show up and fly you would lose the value of the ticket on the no show policy and get no A List flight credit.

I would recommend finding a cheap RT in a day or weekend getaway so you can reach the status. Nothing worse than being 1 flight short. 

hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I would recommend finding a cheap RT in a day or weekend getaway so you can reach the status. Nothing worse than being 1 flight short. 

It will be very liberating to go through the airport and fly with nothing except a nice book.

Hopefully you aren't too far from an airport, if so this would be the best way to catch one flight. You can buy one leg and use points for the return if you book one-ways. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

It will be very liberating to go through the airport and fly with nothing except a nice book.

I've flown with just my iPad and phone/iPad chargers on a 10 hour flight RT. Had a nice day running around the sky's to earn that A List preferred 

rx4flafun
Explorer C

Unfortunately I am also booked solid to travel (where SWA does not). Trying to squeeze a trip to nowhere would be exhausting because even one day home is heaven. Sad to hear they won’t just take my $ and count it 😞

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think it is pretty standard across airlines that if you don't travel, you reservation is cancelled.

Are you close on points instead? If you have any pending trips you could upgrade one to Business Select.

I also once did a Southwest trip to PHL and then US Airways from there to Greensboro, but then there is a risk of flight disruptions across one airline but not the other.

My opinion is that the A-list benefit for checking in automatically and being in front of the early-bird check-ins is worth a little extra out of pocket if you can manage to squeeze in a leg somewhere. 

It is possible that if you just miss it, you could be offered a promotional offer to purchase a couple of flights in Jan/Feb, I've heard of this before to entice people that weren't already a-list to make it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

If you are flying back from a non SWA city I suggest flying back to somewhere where you can connect to a SW flight back to your home city . It shouldn’t take much more time and you would get the credit ! I think it’s worth it for a year of a list