Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tier Qualifying Flights

kellyndoc
Explorer C

I found a lot of information about what does or does not qualify as tier qualifying points for a-list or companion passes, but I can't find information about the flights. Can qualifying flights only be earned by flying myself or is it anytime I book a flight under my account? For instance, I am flying my mother somewhere in the fall - would those flights count for anything?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Tier Qualifying Flights

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@kellyndoc wrote:

I found a lot of information about what does or does not qualify as tier qualifying points for a-list or companion passes, but I can't find information about the flights. Can qualifying flights only be earned by flying myself or is it anytime I book a flight under my account? For instance, I am flying my mother somewhere in the fall - would those flights count for anything?

No, the tier qualifying towards A-list / A-list preferred, and companion passs as well as the general earning of points 6x Wanna Get Away, 10x Anytime, and 12x Business Select for flights goes to the flyer. 

If you use the Southwest Visa then you'd obviously earn the points from total spending, and I believe still earn the bonus point per dollar spent with Southwest.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Tier Qualifying Flights

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Agreed...the only flights (and points from those flights) that count toward your tier qualification are your own (ones you fly).  You cannot earn tier qualifying anything from the flights of others.

As @DancingDavidE pointed out, Companion Pass is a little different.  Since Southwest Chase Credit Card points count toward CP qualification, the points from buying others' flight can count for your CP qualification. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder