Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tier points?

canoegirl
Explorer B

Thanks to a relocation of my BFs job I've become a frequent Southwest flyer! I am closing in on A-list for 2016, and am having trouble figuring out if I'm going to make it with the points I'm earning, as some are tier qualifying and some are not. I can't seem to find a place where I can get a count of just the TQ points.

Appreciate the help for a newbie!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Tier points?

franktravel
Aviator B

Rapid Rewards A-List and A-List Preferred Status

A Member who flies 25 qualifying one-way flight segments booked through Southwest Airlines or earns 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points per calendar year will qualify for A-List status. A Member who flies 50 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines or earns 70,000 Tier Qualifying Points per calendar year will qualify for A-List Preferred status.

A flight segment is defined as a one-way trip booked through Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections on Southwest Airlines. Tier Qualifying Points are earned through the purchase of revenue flights or through the use of the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase. Tier Qualifying Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase are not available for qualification for benefits such as A-List and A-List Preferred status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. The following will not count toward qualification for A-List status: Rapid Rewards reward flights; Rapid Rewards Companion Pass travel; Rapid Rewards Partner points except for Tier Qualifying Points earned on the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Cards from Chase (as per the rules described below); bonus Rapid Rewards Points, unless specifically designated as such; nonrevenue travel, unless specifically designated as eligible; stops at intermediate cities on connecting or through flights; and charter flights. Tier Qualifying Points are not redeemable for travel on Southwest Airlines or through the "More Rewards" site.

A Member who has a Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase will earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year.

A-List and A-List Preferred qualification will be based on a calendar year. Once A-List or A-List Preferred status is earned, the Member can begin enjoying the benefits immediately. The Member will maintain A-List or A-List Preferred status for the remainder of the calendar in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue receiving A-List or A-List Preferred tier benefits, the Member must re-qualify each calendar year. The Member can only maintain one Rapid Rewards A-List Membership during a calendar year, regardless of how many flights (over 25 qualifying one-way flights) are taken or points (over 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points) are earned.

Once a Member qualifies for A-List or A-List Preferred status, he/she is entitled to Priority Boarding. This means that Southwest Airlines will automatically reserve a boarding position for the Member 36 hours prior to each of the Member's confirmed Southwest Airlines' flight provided the Member added his/her Rapid Rewards account number to his/her reservation and made his/her reservation at least 36 hours prior to the flight. Priority Boarding will apply only to flights that a Member completes while his/her A-List or A-List Preferred status is active.

canoegirl
Explorer B

Thanks, I do understand what qualifies as Tier points, but was hoping not to have to do the math!

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @canoegirl

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community and congrats on getting so close to A-List! When you log in to your Rapid Rewards account, you should see your progress towards A-List via Tier Qualifying Points and Qualifying Flight Segments. The barometer should be visible as your default view. If not,  navigate to the 'Snapshot' area of your account to view your progress. 

A-List statusA-List status

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

canoegirl
Explorer B

Thank you Ashley,

That definitely helps! Can you tell I'm anxious to get A-list? Woman Happy

I have definitely seen the little needle moving, and the # of points indicated, but trying to plan ahead to be sure I meet the points, I have been unsure whether, for example, the double points promotion I've gotten on the last couple of flights were all added to that number, or just the regular points to the A-list and the doubled amount toward rewards flights.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@canoegirl wrote:

Thank you Ashley,

That definitely helps! Can you tell I'm anxious to get A-list? Woman Happy

I have definitely seen the little needle moving, and the # of points indicated, but trying to plan ahead to be sure I meet the points, I have been unsure whether, for example, the double points promotion I've gotten on the last couple of flights were all added to that number, or just the regular points to the A-list and the doubled amount toward rewards flights.

Did you make it? The other rule of thumb you could (have) used is whatever you spend on WGA fares is 6x points. So if you will be qualifying on points and you need 6,000 more points points, you would be spending $1,000 on flights the rest of the year - then you can gauge for your regular route what the typical cost is and how many more flights that would be.

If any of your flights are last minute and the costs are high, go for the Business Select if it is a small incremental upcharge to get the 12x points - what might have been four flights to spend $1,000 would now be only $500 on one/two flights with Business Select.

If you aren't/didn't/won't qualify on points basis but need a couple of flights, you could make a day-trip to a nearby location. For instance MDW-MSP is an easy trip, the light rail will let you take a trip downtown or MOA, and head back the same day to get two legs in if you were that close based on number of flights.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

allenrlong
Explorer A

If you want to see what tier qualifying points you’ve received for each flight login into the desktop website (not mobile or app) and go under Recent Activity. Toggle the Point Type to Tier Qualifying and there you can see what tier qualifying points you’ve received for each flight.