Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Total Cancellation

Spencerng97
Explorer C

I cancelled my flight previously because of covid. Then SouthWest has tried to refund me some Rapid Rewards. However, I have repeatedly told them that I do not wish to accept them because I plan to claim travel insurance. How can I tell them to completely void the points they have given so that I can claim the insurance? I have tried multiple times calling them and they come back with the same response that they cannot do anything it's getting really frustrating. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Total Cancellation

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Spencerng97 wrote:

I cancelled my flight previously because of covid. Then SouthWest has tried to refund me some Rapid Rewards. However, I have repeatedly told them that I do not wish to accept them because I plan to claim travel insurance. How can I tell them to completely void the points they have given so that I can claim the insurance? I have tried multiple times calling them and they come back with the same response that they cannot do anything it's getting really frustrating. 

I'm confused. Did you book the flight using points? If so, your itinerary was fully refundable, and you won't be able to claim a loss on your travel insurance.

If your cancellation was from a cash fare, which generated Travel Funds, then you would need to surrender the funds in order to claim a loss. Southwest has no official way to help a customer forfeit their travel funds.

Surrendering Travel Fund value, necessary for a travel insurance claim, happens when travel funds expire, and their value is therefore forfeited. To accelerate that process, you can apply the funds to a flight which is then no-showed. This forfeits the value of the travel funds.

Spencerng97
Explorer C

My tickets were purchased with Cash not by points initially. How can I accelerate the process to get my insurance claim?

jksobonya
Aviator A

That isn't how this works. If you booked a flight and then cancelled it yourself, you don't get a refund back to your credit card, you get travel funds to use until 2022 assuming you cancelled before September 7. If Southwest had cancelled your flight, or if you booked an Anytime or Business Select fare, then you are eligible for a refund. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Normally travel insurance pays when there is some medical condition that impacts the individual traveler.

If you cancelled because you were concerned about the virus (as opposed to having it), you probably don't qualify for a refund. Se the rules of your specific policy for details.

The good news is you have two years to use your travel funds (assuming you cancelled between 3/1 and 9/7)