Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transfer of reward points?

MCharvatJR8
Explorer C

This is not cool . . . I book and pay for my family's travel, but can only take advantage of the points for my ticket?  Why would SW charge me for transfering RR points to the person purchasing the ticket and making all of the accomodations?

Can I combine points with another Rapid Rewards Member?

No. Membership in the Rapid Rewards program is for individual travelers only. Individuals must enroll separately and may not pool or combine points with other Members. However, one Member may transfer their points to another Member. Costs to transfer points to another Member must be paid for with a credit card, and transfers can be made through Southwest.com

1 REPLY 1

Re: Transfer of reward points?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@MCharvatJR8 wrote:

This is not cool . . . I book and pay for my family's travel, but can only take advantage of the points for my ticket?  Why would SW charge me for transfering RR points to the person purchasing the ticket and making all of the accomodations?

Can I combine points with another Rapid Rewards Member?

No. Membership in the Rapid Rewards program is for individual travelers only. Individuals must enroll separately and may not pool or combine points with other Members. However, one Member may transfer their points to another Member. Costs to transfer points to another Member must be paid for with a credit card, and transfers can be made through Southwest.com

The fee to transfer points is 1 cent per point, and that eats up about half of their value. I don't recommend transferring points unless you just need a few, in order to purchase a particular fare.

The good news is that anyone's points can be used to purchase flights for anyone else, so you don't need to transfer for someone else to use them.

If you don't have enough points for a booking unless you combine, consider booking individual, multiple one-way flights.