Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transferring Rapid Reward points to another member, is there a fee?

jdullaghan
Explorer C

Is there a fee to transfer points from one member to another?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Transferring Rapid Reward points to another member, is there a fee?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, it's 1 cent per point, which devalues those points significantly. Don't do it, unless you absolutely need to combine points with someone else in order to have enough for a booking. You can always just use your points to book a flight for anyone else.

ntogiai
Explorer C

How do I book a flight using my points, for someone else?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Log into your Rapid Rewards account.  Search for flights in points.  While in the booking process book the ticket in the persons name you want on the ticket. 

skhager
Explorer C

Not only is there a fee for transferring points you have earned, but you have to make the transfer yourself. Also the transfer must be in 1000 point increments. So, I needed 2041 of my husband's points added to my total to have enough for a 1 way ticket. He had to transfer and pay for 3000 points. What? The SW computers can't calculate to the nearest 100?

I complained and received a totally incomprehensible response Something like "we would have given you a refund the this $30 but subsequent to the transfer, these points were used to book a fllight. " Yes they were! That was the goal of the transfer!

As retirees, we find this particularly egregious.

The "no fees" label that SW promotes everywhere is totally misleading. 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

I also dislike the fee to transfer points so I try to just book tickets for others like @franktravel said.  That also helps if they cancel because the points go back to me, not them.

I have no problem with the “no fee” advertising though. I think it always is followed with a statement about change fees like “change your ticket and no fees.”  There is a 9/11 security fee on every ticket sold.  I do love that no change fee policy because as the advertising says, life is sometimes unpredictable.

sorry this happened to you and I hope the trip went well other than that. When it happened to me, I thought “lesson learned,” to myself and I haven’t transferred points since.  As @chgoflyer points out, transferring points usually is not worth it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

In my view,  it does not make sense to buy or transfer points. When you consider that points are worth about a penny each when buying a wanna get away fare, you pay more than that when you buy points and when comprehending the transfer fees that brings the cost over 1 cent a point.

IMO you are much better off just letting your points grow to the level  needed for a flight and then using your own points. Don't forget you can earn points for renting cars, staying in hotel rooms, eating at restauants, etc.

Also, don't forget that you can buy a ticket for another person using your own points. That's better than transferring points to another person for their use.

thenewaesthetic
Explorer C

I have the Companion pass, and I'm now down to about 50,000 points, which may go towards a trip to attend my cousin's wedding.

My wife has about 40k points. Would it make sense to have her transfer those points to me, even if we have to pay, so that I can book her a free flight before the end of the year?

Or does the cost outweigh the benefit here?

Thanks 

franktravel
Aviator B

I would not transfer points because of the cost. Everyone that has points in their account can use the points to get tickets for anyone. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@thenewaesthetic wrote:

I have the Companion pass, and I'm now down to about 50,000 points, which may go towards a trip to attend my cousin's wedding.

My wife has about 40k points. Would it make sense to have her transfer those points to me, even if we have to pay, so that I can book her a free flight before the end of the year?

Or does the cost outweigh the benefit here?

Thanks 

Also, be aware that the Companion Pass holder's flight can be booked using anyone's points (including hers) and still qualify for the Companion to be attached (including her).