Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Transferring Rapid Reward points to another member, is there a fee?

DeeO
Explorer C

I got the Southwest Credit Card when there was a special to spend $4,000 in the first three months and receive the free Companion pass and 30,000 points. 

So I have qualified for that and my husband will be my companion.

If he gets a card and receives 40,000 points, can he use his points to buy my ticket and get his free?

Should he transfer or gift them to me?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
Yes, your husband is able to use his points for your ticket (follow steps outlined earlier in the thread). Then once you see your ticket in your account you will be able to click to add your companion 🙂

Customer | Home airport DCA

DeeO
Explorer C

Thank you for the quick response!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DeeO wrote:

I got the Southwest Credit Card when there was a special to spend $4,000 in the first three months and receive the free Companion pass and 30,000 points. 

So I have qualified for that and my husband will be my companion.

If he gets a card and receives 40,000 points, can he use his points to buy my ticket and get his free?

Should he transfer or gift them to me?

Normal advice is to avoid transfering points unless you absolutely need to. You devalue the points by over 50% when you do so becasue you have to pay a penny a point to do the transfer. It's far better to just use your points to buy the other person a points based ticket - no fee involved except for TSA fees which everyone has to pay.

Rawlings25
Explorer C

Did you recieve an answer?   I'm in a similar position.   I might be short of the 110,000 points needed to get companion status next year.   Was thinking of paying to transfer wife's points or purchase points to get over the limit,  but want to make sure they count towards companion status. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Rawlings25 neither of those options would give you Companion Pass qualifying points. In other words, buying or transferring wouldn't help you achieve Companion Pass.

--TheMiddleSeat

Diane2019
Explorer C

I'm blown away about this. I was excited to give my daughter 40,000 points for her birthday, thinking that it would be a cool useful gift, until I found out it would cost me $400 to move them to her account. Are you kidding? Wait...these are points I earned, but I still have to spend MORE money to use them? And all this for SW to update to our accounts.... which is still nothing to them since we do everything online to make this happen. Nothing that will cost SW anything. Nothing. Used to think SW was the best for customer service, but little by little, I'm changing my opinion.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Diane2019 wrote:

I'm blown away about this. I was excited to give my daughter 40,000 points for her birthday, thinking that it would be a cool useful gift, until I found out it would cost me $400 to move them to her account. Are you kidding? Wait...these are points I earned, but I still have to spend MORE money to use them? And all this for SW to update to our accounts.... which is still nothing to them since we do everything online to make this happen. Nothing that will cost SW anything. Nothing. Used to think SW was the best for customer service, but little by little, I'm changing my opinion.

Every airline charges to move points from one account to another.

Why not tell your daughter that you'll give her a ticket to anyhere SW flies and then YOU use your points to get the ticket. Same final result -- no fee to you.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@Diane2019 wrote:

Wait...these are points I earned, but I still have to spend MORE money to use them? 

@Diane2019 you can book tickets for anyone using your points.  You can tell her she has 40,000 points to use as she sees fit and that you'll book the ticket(s) when she's ready.

Customer | Home airport DCA