Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards Points conversion is now live

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Looks like the ability to convert COVID-19 related travel funds into Rapid Rewards points is now live. The option can be found after logging in to your account, under My Travel Funds.

As predicted, the conversion rate is 78 points per $1 of funds (the same conversion rate as when using points to book a flight). Note that the option ends December 15, 2020.

From the website:

Travel Funds

Now through December 15, 2020, convert your qualified travel funds to points for added flexibility. Rapid Rewards points don’t expire.You can redeem your points for travel for anyone.To qualify, your travel fund a) must expire September 7, 2022, b) name must match the name on your Rapid Reward account, and c) must have originated from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com®, booked by a Southwest Airlines® Customer Service Agent, or approved by your employer. You must request to convert your travel fund by December 15, 2020. Conversion is non-reversible. Rapid Rewards points cannot be used to pay taxes or fees. Both travel fund balances and points conversion calculations displayed below are reflective of what was in your account upon login and may not include transactions which may have occurred during your current session. Refreshing your browser will provide the most up-to-date information.

Also, see these FAQ's.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards Points conversion is now live

bec102896
Aviator A

You can also check out this TKB for information on how to convert the funds to points Converting Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards Points 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ericjames wrote:

I cannot see the movement assets from the others that were on a similar reservation.. the movement reserves have vanished. 

I'm not certain, but if you're referring to a multi-passenger reservation, be aware that each passenger will see their own funds in their own account.

brp28
Explorer C

Does the conversion to points count towards your companion pass points allocation? For example, I have ~ $700 in travel funds that would convert to about 51,000 SW points. If converted, would those 50,000+ points be applied to my companion pass allocation like they would if I purchased a ticket using the funds?

bec102896
Aviator A

@brp28 wrote:

Does the conversion to points count towards your companion pass points allocation? For example, I have ~ $700 in travel funds that would convert to about 51,000 SW points. If converted, would those 50,000+ points be applied to my companion pass allocation like they would if I purchased a ticket using the funds?

No these points will not go towards earning A List or companion pass. 

ixoye899
Explorer C

I just converted my travel funds to points.. but now I cant see the travel funds from the other people that were on the same reservation.. the travel funds have disappeared. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ixoye899 wrote:

I just converted my travel funds to points.. but now I cant see the travel funds from the other people that were on the same reservation.. the travel funds have disappeared. 

You can only view your own travel funds. Hopefully the other have enrolled in  Rapid Rewards and you put their RR numbers on the reservation. If so, they can log in and see their own travel funds.

indiab19
Explorer C

Sorry, new to this Travel Funds thing - hoping someone can help.

When we cancelled our flight, they didn't offer a refund, just the ability to hold our $ until we booked again.  I didn't realize this would expire.  

Does anyone know 1) is converting to Rapid Rewards points the only option?  or 2) is a refund an option?   And 3) is the conversion a decent "deal" - meaning, will the points we receive = the $$$ we paid when we go to use the points later?

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@indiab19 wrote:

Sorry, new to this Travel Funds thing - hoping someone can help.

When we cancelled our flight, they didn't offer a refund, just the ability to hold our $ until we booked again.  I didn't realize this would expire.  

Hello. Yes, travel funds have expiration dates as do their equivalen with every other airline. If you cancelled after 2/28/20 your expiration date is 9/7/22 so you have lots of time to use your fund.

Does anyone know 1) is converting to Rapid Rewards points the only option?  or 2) is a refund an option?   And 3) is the conversion a decent "deal" - meaning, will the points we receive = the $$$ we paid when we go to use the points later?

Sorry, but non refundable tickets are only eligible for a refund if the airline cancels your flight. It's that way  with every other airline, too. You have two options: keep the travel fund for future use or convert to points. Travel funds are only for  the ticketed traveler's  use while points can be used to buy anyone a ticket. So, if you don't think you'll use your travel fund, points may be a better option. Also travel funds do expire, but points do not.

The number of points you receive per dollar is equal to the number of points you

would spend to buy a ticket of a given dollar value. So the value of points and dollars is equal.

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

indiab19
Explorer C

THANK YOU so very much for the quick reply !