Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards Points conversion is now live

dlsimon
Explorer C

Looking at the option to convert funds to points since points don't expire (while funds do), is there a reason to NOT convert to points? I don't plan on flying the remainder of this year but hope to fly sometime next year. It sounds like the conversion of funds to dollars is equal to the amount of points it would take to buy a ticket, so I guess there isn't any downside to just converting now. Or is there something I'm not considering?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dlsimon wrote:

Looking at the option to convert funds to points since points don't expire (while funds do), is there a reason to NOT convert to points? I don't plan on flying the remainder of this year but hope to fly sometime next year. It sounds like the conversion of funds to dollars is equal to the amount of points it would take to buy a ticket, so I guess there isn't any downside to just converting now. Or is there something I'm not considering?

The upsides to points are that they never expire and you may use them to buy anyone a ticket. The downside is that when you spend the points, you do not earn more points for the flight.

bec102896
Aviator A

@dlsimon wrote:

One reason I won't convert funds to points is because when I use points to book a flight I don't get credit towards A List or Companion pass. For those who don't travel much or don't care as much about status then yeah converting to points doesn't hurt and you can use the points on anyone. 

gsking
Aviator C

And, as predicted, you actually make up to 20% converting over to points, since you're not taxed on a flight purchased with points.   

A $59 flight converts to 4400 points.   That same flight costs less that 4000 to book.  Again, minus the additional tier qualifying points you lose from not paying cash.   Good for flying kids and other companion travelers. 

This benefit is greatest for cheap flights, since taxes aren't proportional.   A $100 flight is about less than 10% savings. and likely around 5% for a $200 flight.   Since points accrual on tickets purchased with cash is about 10%, there's probably no reason to do this unless your future tickets are under $100 or you'll definitely use the points on someone else.   

Not understanding why 1 trip qualifies and 1 trip does not for travel fund conversion to points

Marsh511
Explorer C

We purchased 2 itineraries for my wife on the same date for travel on consecutive weekends to/from different events.  Because of COVID, both events she was going to fly to were canceled.  One itinerary shows as eligible to convert the Travel Funds to points while the other shows 'not eligible'.  Why?

Itinerary 1: NOT ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/1/20-5/3/20 SMF-PDX round trip - we cancelled online on 2/28/20 when we found out event was not going to occur

Itinerary 2: ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/8/20-5/9/20 SMF-SAN round trip -

we cancelled online on 4/3/20 when we found out this even was cancelled

Why are travel funds from the first cancelled itinerary not eligible while funds from the second itinerary CAN be converted to points?  System still shows the funds for the first itinerary as expiring 2/2/21 (one year after booking) while the second was changed to 9/7/22.  WHY?

Thanks!

Re: Not understanding why 1 trip qualifies and 1 trip does not for travel fund conversion to points

bec102896
Aviator A

@Marsh511 wrote:

We purchased 2 itineraries for my wife on the same date for travel on consecutive weekends to/from different events.  Because of COVID, both events she was going to fly to were canceled.  One itinerary shows as eligible to convert the Travel Funds to points while the other shows 'not eligible'.  Why?

Itinerary 1: NOT ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/1/20-5/3/20 SMF-PDX round trip - we cancelled online on 2/28/20 when we found out event was not going to occur

Itinerary 2: ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/8/20-5/9/20 SMF-SAN round trip -

we cancelled online on 4/3/20 when we found out this even was cancelled

Why are travel funds from the first cancelled itinerary not eligible while funds from the second itinerary CAN be converted to points?  System still shows the funds for the first itinerary as expiring 2/2/21 (one year after booking) while the second was changed to 9/7/22.  WHY?

Thanks!

I have responded to your other post Cancelled itinerary from MAY not eligible to convert travel funds to points - WHY?  Hopefully that response will help you to get your funds eligible for points conversion. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I like this feature! I rebook flights so often when prices change, even if the difference is minimal, and as a result I have quite a few travel funds that are less than $10. Converting those funds to points is a benefit to me. After converting a few I currently have $70 spread out across 5 different travel funds 🤣 I'll probably convert at least one other - thanks Southwest for the added flexibility! 

--Jessica