Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

Aba2244
Explorer C

I am very disappointed with the Travel Fund policy of forcing customers to use those funds only for the passengers that they were purchased for. As a customer spending my money to purchase tickets for family members, if and when those individuals cannot travel whether due to covid (as in this case) or not, the Travel Funds that are issued should be credited to me the purchaser so that I can use them as I see fit, not only to the original passenger. It is my money, so I should either get a full refund (when warranted) or I should get the Travel Funds so that I can use them however I want to. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry you are unhappy.

The reality is that the travel fund policy is clearly stated by the airline. If you did not want to adhere to the policy, you should not have bought a ticket.

Aba2244
Explorer C

I clearly understand your point, and I will probably not purchase Southwest tickets for anyone besides myself going forward, so ultimately it will be their loss. My point is that it is a policy that goes against good customer service and business sense. If I spend money purchasing any item with just about any company that stands behind their products, I would be the one who would and should receive the refund or credit! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Aba2244 wrote:

I clearly understand your point, and I will probably not purchase Southwest tickets for anyone besides myself going forward, so ultimately it will be their loss. My point is that it is a policy that goes against good customer service and business sense. If I spend money purchasing any item with just about any company that stands behind their products, I would be the one who would and should receive the refund or credit! 

Airlines don't treat it that way. Had you bought a ticket on American, Delta, United, Spirit, (basically any airline in the world), you would have experienced the same outcome.

The alternative is to buy a refundable ticket.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest did offer the ability to convert travel funds to Rapid Rewards points which could be used to purchase travel for anyone.  This offer was only applicable to some travel funds and is no longer available.  Sorry if you either missed the opportunity or if it didn't apply to you.

--TheMiddleSeat

Aba2244
Explorer C

Bad Policy!!!!!!    It is a policy that goes against good customer service and business sense. If I spend money purchasing any item with just about any company that stands behind their products, I would be the one who would and should receive the refund or credit! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Or you could not get a refund or credit as is the case with many other airlines.  That policy is ok with you?

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Aba2244 wrote:

Bad Policy!!!!!!    It is a policy that goes against good customer service and business sense. If I spend money purchasing any item with just about any company that stands behind their products, I would be the one who would and should receive the refund or credit! 

If you buy a gift for a friend at Macys, and that person turns the gift in for  credit, who gets the credit? You or your friend?