Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds to purchase wanna get away plus

melca1019
Explorer C

I have a travel fund that will be expiring on August 24, 2022. I was awarded as a companion partner so I only pay taxes when my husband and I travel. Can I use it to book a wanna getaway plus ticket and cancel so my husband can use the funds for his ticket? I am not sure if that is possible, I just don't want to waste it. Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel funds to purchase wanna get away plus

dfwskier
Aviator A

Any travel funds created by a cancellation will be in the name of the traveler on the initial ticket. So, if the ticket is in your name, then no your husband will not be able to use the travel fund.

However, SW apparently just started a program where you can convert a TF into a voucher, and vouchers can be used by anyone. Normally when SW does this, it charges $100. Thru the end of the year it appears that the $100 fee would be waived. Contact the airline for more details. Just click on "contact us" below and proceed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Any travel funds created by a cancellation will be in the name of the traveler on the initial ticket. So, if the ticket is in your name, then no your husband will not be able to use the travel fund.

However, SW apparently just started a program where you can convert a TF into a voucher, and vouchers can be used by anyone. Normally when SW does this, it charges $100. Thru the end of the year it appears that the $100 fee would be waived. Contact the airline for more details. Just click on "contact us" below and proceed.

Get that $5.60 voucher! It's case-by-case so who know if this meets any unpublished minimum threshold or not. I guess give it a try if you have $5.60 worth of time to spend on the phone though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While the travel fund is in your name you can use it to pay taxes on flights you take as a companion.

--TheMiddleSeat

Forrest355
Explorer A

Travel funds from Southwest can be used to book any available cash flight or to pay for the taxes and fees on award flights. They are treated like cash and can be used to pay for some or all of the amount owed.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@melca1019 wrote:

I have a travel fund that will be expiring on August 24, 2022. I was awarded as a companion partner so I only pay taxes when my husband and I travel. Can I use it to book a wanna getaway plus ticket and cancel so my husband can use the funds for his ticket? I am not sure if that is possible, I just don't want to waste it. Thank you. 

Lets try this again

A) You want to take your travel fund to buy a Plus ticket

B) You want to cancel that ticket

C) You want the resultant travel fund to be used by your husband

I'm 99.44% sure the answer is no, you can't do that. Why? If you use a travel fund in your name to buy an Anytime (refundable) ticket and then cancel that ticket, then you get back a travel fund in your name - and it is not transferable.

Why would doing it with a Plus ticket be any different?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@melca1019 wrote:

But back to your original question - IF this worked, you'd still have to combine it with the balance of the cost of the ticket, then your husband would get a travel fund for the value of that fare.

However, I'm not clear yet on the chain of travel funds here where the travel fund from a WGA+ fare might need to be from new money to qualify for the transfer you are describing, or else booking a WGA+ fare would be a loophole on transferring WGA fares which doesn't seem like it would be allowed, so I'd lean against not trying it.

My feeling is that you have to buy into the WGA+ fare class, but I haven't ever heard this stated from Southwest.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.