Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgrade credit card

jhgreer
Explorer C

If I have a Rapid Rewards Plus card and want to upgrade to a priority card, can I cancel my current card and reapply for priority to receive the 40,000 points bonus?  It has been more than 2 years since I opened my card and received a points bonus.  If yes, what is the best way to do this?  I have flights currently booked with points - changing cards wouldn't affect those, correct?  Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Upgrade credit card

dfwskier
Aviator A

You should be able to do that since it has been more than two years since Chase gave you bonus points. 

Also, once Chase gives you points in your RR account, they are yours. So cancelling a card in no way has any influence on how you use your points.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Keep in mind that you must do it exactly as you say: cancel before getting the new card. The restrictions prevent personal card holders from getting a bonus on a new personal card at any point, so you can't apply for the new card while you still have the old one and get the bonus. And, as you mentioned, you can't get a second bonus within 24 months. 

More details here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

shadangi
Explorer C
I have had a Southwest Personal Chase card since March 2019 and my new card bonus in May 2019, i.e., 24+ months ago .  I just cancelled this card Today.  My statement ends 12/3/2021 (3 weeks from now).  When can I reapply for this case again and be eligible for the new 100k RR points offer, since this offer ends 12/7/2021?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@shadangi wrote:
I have had a Southwest Personal Chase card since March 2019 and my new card bonus in May 2019, i.e., 24+ months ago .  I just cancelled this card Today.  My statement ends 12/3/2021 (3 weeks from now).  When can I reapply for this case again and be eligible for the new 100k RR points offer, since this offer ends 12/7/2021?

Chases T&Cs state: "The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

I read that to mean that as long as it's been at least 24 months since you got your last sign up bonus AND you no longer have a Chase SW card, you are eligible.

tak10
Explorer C

You should be able to get the bonus offer again after 24 months of your previous bonus offer for Southwest co-branded credit card. 

You also need to keep in mind Chase's 5/24 rule, if you open more than 5 new credit cards  from any issuing bank in last 24 months, Chase will not approve you for another credit card. 

jamber
Explorer C

did you end up cancelling and then reapplying? If so, did you get your points? And how long did you wait between cancelling and reapplying?