Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgrade to Buisness Select on Ticket Purchased with Points

hkane14
Explorer C

I purchased my Wanna Get Away Fare a while ago and my flight is today. I'm decided to upgrade to Buisness Select and the website wouldn't let me upgrade because my ticket was purchased with points. Can I buy the upgrade in cash online or at the airport?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Upgrade to Buisness Select on Ticket Purchased with Points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Are you looking to change the ticket to Business Select or do you you just want the upgraded boarding position? With a points booking I can't think of any benefit other than the upgraded boarding position and the free drink so a full change to Business Select doesn't seem to make sense. You can pay cash at the gate for an upgraded boarding position (if one is available and usually they are), but you'll still be using a Wanna Get Away fare/ticket. 

hkane14
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat Yes, I'm just looking for the upgraded boarding position. Do I ask the person at the check in desk about it or the gate agent?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Gate agent. Not the one standing by the boarding door, but the one at the desk. There's usually a small sign on the counter that says something about asking for a better boarding position. What's your current assigned boarding position? 

hkane14
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat I'm currently B30. The upgrade is $30-$40, right?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes. Let us know how it goes. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Hopefully you were able to get the "boarding position only" upgrade at the gate for cash.

I don't think it makes sense to use points for Business Select - one of the real benefits of BS fares is the extra point earning potenital, which you would be doing the opposite by purchasing with points.

If the boarding position was critical for someone, then it would be best to go for early bird for a small price upgrade instead of multiples on the cost of the ticket.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.