Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgrade to business class

richkendziorski
Explorer C

Hi! I'm new to Rapid Rewards and searched the discussions, but can't find the answer to this:

May I use my Rapid Rewards points to purchase an upgrade to business class at the gate/upon arrival for my trip?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Upgrade to business class

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

No. Points can only be used to redeem for flights. If you are a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmember, you can redeem your Rapid Rewards points for items other than Southwest flights through More Rewards.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I think that the only way to get business select is with cash or travel funds, not points- is that what you mean?

richkendziorski
Explorer C

Yes, thanks!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I wanted to clarify @richkendziorski - If you haven't flown yet - the upgrade to "Business Select" gives you upgraded boarding position and a beverage on that flight. It also gives you 12x points instead of 10x (anytime) or 6x (wanna get away) and is refundable.

Earning points obviously only apply when you paid for a fare instead of redeeming points for that fare.

It isn't the same as "Business Class" on other airlines where the seats are different or other amenities. Southwest is a single class of service on every flight.

At times when I need a Business Select fare because that is all that is available - usually due to last minute schedule changes - I would always purchase it and earn the 12x points instead of redeeming my points for that price of fare.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Brittanyj
Explorer C

If I upgrade my ticket to business class what refund policy will you honor in the event my trip is canceled?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi Brittanyj,

Can you offer some clarification? What kind of ticket are you holding right now - an Anytime fare or a Wanna Get Away fare?

Brittanyj
Explorer C

I have a Wanna Get Away Ticket Currently and after seeing all of the perks of the Business Select I want to upgrade to that but will it also be the same refund policy since I purchased a Wanna Get Away ticket first. 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for the clarification, @Brifttanyj. If you upgrade to a Business Select ticket from the Wanna Get Away fare that you currently have, the original Wanna Get Away portion of the ticket will remain nonrefundable. Any new funds that you apply to make up the difference will be refundable. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@LindseyD wrote:

@Thanks for the clarification, @Brifttanyj. If you upgrade to a Business Select ticket from the Wanna Get Away fare that you currently have, the original Wanna Get Away portion of the ticket will remain nonrefundable. Any new funds that you apply to make up the difference will be refundable. 

One major note: If after upgrading you make any change to your itinerary, all the funds (the "refundable" BS portion -- along with the non-refundable WGA portion) will become non-refundable.

If you upgrade and then need to make a change, do not use the change function. Instead, cancel for refund + travel funds, then rebook using those funds and new money. This will retain the refundability of the BS portion. The only negative is the time you'll have to wait in getting the refund back, which can often take many weeks. 😞

I know this is very confusing. I hope this helps!