Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Use Rapid Rewards points to purchase TSA Pre✔ code!

ScottS
Employee
Employee

Hello!

To help alleviate long TSA lines at the airport, for a limited time we are offering our Members the ability to bypass the $85 TSA Pre✓® application fee through More Rewards. Members can redeem 9,000 Rapid Rewards® points to receive an authorization code for one application by mail.

TSA Pre✔® provides trusted travelers with an expedited and more efficient security screening process, and it's available at many Southwest® operated airports.

As a TSA Pre✔® traveler you can save time and avoid removing the following items:

• Shoes
  • Laptops
  • 3-1-1 liquids
  • Belts
  • Light jackets

Purchase TSA Pre✔ code to apply and enjoy a faster security checkpoint experience. Offer is limited to up to eight codes per Rapid Rewards Member. Offer valid from June 27 through August 22, 2016, 11:59 PM CST.

Click here to buy your TSA Pre✔® now!

Scott

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Use Rapid Rewards points to purchase TSA Pre✔ code!

dde12053
Explorer C

When I fly to Los Angeles, I am tsa pre, but when I fly home to Boulder, Co I do not have tsa pre on my boarding pass. Why am I tsa pre one way and not the there. I am a southwest visa holder and RR member.

Thank you,

Dwight David Evans

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @dde12053,

While TSA PreCheck is not guaranteed on every flight, in most cases you'll receive it on your return segment if you received it on your outbound segment. To speak with a Customer Service Representative who can take a look at your Rapid Rewards Account and assist you with troubleshooting this situation, I encourage you to reach out to us through one of the options listed here.

bccweb
Explorer C

I missed this promotion (I thought it ran through the end of August).  Will you be running it again? 

Thank you!

LuckyB
Explorer C

While I appreciated the offer of this when I did the math it seemed like it would be better to pay the fee than use my miles, but I'm sure for some that have an abundance of miles it would be worth while. 

Explorer C

As I was reapplying for my TSA pre, I learned that I can use my Southwest points for the fee (9000 points). I went through the form on SW and made the purchase. It said something about mailing the code? Is it not transferred electronically or via email? I'd like to get it done now, since we live in the future with the internet and stuff. My question is: Do I have to wait for the snail mail to arrive to use the TSA-pre code I purchased? Thanks.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@133431852 wrote:

As I was reapplying for my TSA pre, I learned that I can use my Southwest points for the fee (9000 points). I went through the form on SW and made the purchase. It said something about mailing the code? Is it not transferred electronically or via email? I'd like to get it done now, since we live in the future with the internet and stuff. My question is: Do I have to wait for the snail mail to arrive to use the TSA-pre code I purchased? Thanks.

When did you do this? The ability to redeem More Rewards has been suspended for some time due to the pandemic:

Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time.

---------------

Still, once it's up and running again if I can get TSA pre-check for just 9,000 points, that sounds like an awesome deal!

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@133431852 wrote:

When did you do this? The ability to redeem More Rewards has been suspended for some time due to the pandemic:

Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time.

---------------

Still, once it's up and running again if I can get TSA pre-check for just 9,000 points, that sounds like an awesome deal!

--Jessica

I keep seeing this info mentioned here, but it's absolutely not true. More Rewards is still available.

However, More Rewards is currently limited to only those with a Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa card by Chase.

With regards to the OP's question: The Product Details (below) make it seem like you need the physical certificate, to be presented at your TSA PreCheck interview.

TSA Precheck is an expedited security screening program connecting travelers departing from airports within the United States with smarter security and a better air travel experience.

• Allows greater confidence in travel planning and a more predictable experience
  • Facilitates a convenient, more efficient security screening process
  • Available at over 180 airports
  • When screening, no need to remove: shoes, laptops, 3-1-1 liquids, belts or light jackets.

Receipt of the Code does not guarantee that an applicant's application for TSA Precheck will be approved, and no replacement Code will be issued or other compensation will be made regardless of your eligibility outcome.

How to purchase an authorization code for TSA Precheck:

• Redeem your points to receive a certificate with your authorization code
  • Fill out a TSA Precheck application online or at an enrollment center
  • Once you receive your certificate, schedule an appointment at your local TSA Precheck enrollment center
  • Present the authorization code in lieu of payment ($85 for one-time use, expires in 5 years)

Once points are redeemed for a Code, the Code is not returnable, exchangeable, refundable or redeemable for cash, credit or previously purchased items under any circumstances, even if lost stolen, destroyed or expired. All handling and upgraded shipping fees are non-refundable. Certificates expire; please review and note the expiration date printed on the bottom of your certificate. Certificates must be used before the expiration date. Offer subject to change without notice. TSA Precheck benefit not guaranteed on all flights or at all airports. Visit the TSA Precheck Website to find more details.

THIS AWARD IS FOR NEW APPLICANT'S ONLY.

In any case, you should direct your question to More Rewards, using their web form.

They should be able to help you.

A final note: Be aware that using Rapid Rewards points for anything other than Southwest airfare is generally not an awesome deal. For example, you'll pay the equivalent of $115 to purchase the $85 TSA PreCheck.

[edited to add] I just noticed the OP referenced PreCheck renewal -- unfortunately the terms and conditions state the code is only good for new applicants. 😞

jksobonya
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

@133431852 wrote:

---------------

--Jessica

I keep seeing this info mentioned here, but it's absolutely not true. More Rewards is still available.

This is what I get when I log into the "More Rewards" portal, which is why I said what I said. The text from my previous post is verbatim right from this link when you click "Explore Rewards" -- https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/redeem-more-rewards 

jksobonya_0-1626206285833.png

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

@133431852 wrote:

---------------

--Jessica

This is what I get when I log into the "More Rewards" portal, which is why I said what I said. The text from my previous post is verbatim right from this link when you click "Explore Rewards" -- https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/redeem-more-rewards 

jksobonya_0-1626206285833.png

--Jessica

Again, More Rewards is currently limited to only those with a Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa card by Chase.