Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using Points for other airlines

firstmark
Explorer C

How can I use my reward points for other airlines?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Using Points for other airlines

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

From SWA /Redeem Rapid Rewards Points::

Can I use my points on redemptions other than Southwest flights?

"The More Rewards program allows Rapid Rewards® Credit Cardmembers to redeem their points for merchandise, international flights operated by other airlines, hotel stays, gift cards, and rental cars.

So, unless you are a RR credit cardmember, unfortunately, it is not possible.  Nor can points be used for SWA amenities. 

The good news: Use them to take a fantastic SWA flight anywhere they fly!!

jksobonya
Aviator A

It seems counterintuative to use Southwest points for other airlines, but More Rewards has a line that says you could redeem points on "international flights on global carriers" - however, the ability to redeem points is currently paused.

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/redeem-more-rewards

Clicking "Explore Rewards" takes you to this page:

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWANCMSWARRNCM 

Which displays the message: "Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time."

Not sure when you will be able to redeem points again - but you also need a SW credit card to redeem points, apparently. (I feel like this wasn't always the case.)  

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

It seems counterintuative to use Southwest points for other airlines, but More Rewards has a line that says you could redeem points on "international flights on global carriers" - however, the ability to redeem points is currently paused.

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/redeem-more-rewards

Clicking "Explore Rewards" takes you to this page:

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWANCMSWARRNCM 

Which displays the message: "Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time."

Not sure when you will be able to redeem points again - but you also need a SW credit card to redeem points, apparently. (I feel like this wasn't always the case.)  

--Jessica

Again, as I've noted before, redemption is not "paused."

It's absolutely available, but only for those with a Rapid Rewards Visa card by Chase.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

(You are correct that this wasn't always the case. About a year after launching More Rewards as a cardmember benefit, Southwest opened up redemptions to all RR members. Then, just after the beginning of the pandemic, Southwest removed that ability and reverted to cardmember only access again.)

jksobonya
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

It's absolutely available, but only for those with a Rapid Rewards Visa card by Chase.

(You are correct that this wasn't always the case. About a year after launching More Rewards as a cardmember benefit, Southwest opened up redemptions to all RR members. Then, just after the beginning of the pandemic, Southwest removed that ability and reverted to cardmember only access again.)

So does the second link I posted take you to a page that shows something other than the COVID message I posted above? Because that's all I see when I click "Explore Rewards" from the first link. If you can actually redeem points, they need to update that landing page with a much better message. 

Ironically, I tried it again while logged out of my account and clicking Explore Rewards took me to a different page: 

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWABROWSE 

And "Shop Exclusive Offers" takes me to a page that lists stuff you can redeem, etc.

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0SWARR 

So it looks like the page is accessible and browsable but only if you're not logged into Southwest.com. I would consider this a bug. I feel like you should be able to get to the page/site regardless so you can browse what's there.  

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

So does the second link I posted take you to a page that shows something other than the COVID message I posted above? Because that's all I see when I click "Explore Rewards" from the first link. If you can actually redeem points, they need to update that landing page with a much better message. 

--Jessica

Again, as we discussed previously in this thread...

If you have a Rapid Rewards Visa card by Chase, when you visit that page (after logging into the Southwest website) you don't see that message, you see the full site with all the redemption options.

You're not seeing it because you (apparently) do not have that card.

The message applies to you. Not to those with the card.

[edited to add]

If you're not logged in to your account on the Southwest website and you navigate to the More Rewards page you'll either be asked to log in or be shown the full site. In order to actually redeem your points for anything you will have to log in (obviously) and if you don't have a RR credit card it will not alow you to make redemptions.

Marsh
Explorer C

When logged in to my RR account, I navigate to the More Rewards page.  The link for international flights with global carriers is no longer available.  I called SW a couple months ago and inquired as to why this option has disappeared.  The person I spoke with said the link should reappear soon.  It's still not there.  I am a Rapid Rewards credit cardholder, I am logged into my account, and the SW representative confirmed the link was not showing up on the More Rewards page.  Any ideas?  I am ready to fly.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Please see the responses to your other post. (And keep in mind that posting the same thing in multiple threads doesn't do anything good for anyone -- which is why it's against forum rules.) 😉