Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using cancelled flight funds towards another person

Smshac23
Explorer C

Hi there!

I have a credit from a flight that I had to cancel. I want to use it towards a flight for a friend. What is the best way to go about doing this? It wouldn't let me apply it straight from the check out page. It said that the name on the credit needed to match the name of the person who the desired flight is for. Please help! Thank you 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Using cancelled flight funds towards another person

bec102896
Aviator A

Hi so unfortunately once a flight is booked all funds are in your name for you to use so if you cancel the flight you were booked on the funds are held for you to use on a flight that you are the ticketed passenger if the new flight you book is less than your credit you will keep the remains fumfs still in your name you can't use it on others on the same reservation in other words you are not able to use the funds on a friends ticket only you can use the funds. If you booked a anytime or business select fare it could be refunded to your original form of payment which then you could book a ticket for them as it would not be a travel fund it would be a new credit card transaction.

hope this helps 

Blake 

Re: Using cancelled flight funds towards another person

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You can't. Unfortunately, Southwest stopped allowing travel funds to be used for any passenger in 2011.

If you're unable to use the funds before they expire (one year from date of purchase of the original flight) you can request they be reisued as a voucher, which is usable by anyone. The fee for this is $100, so it may not be worth it, depending on the value of your funds.