Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using child's rapid rewards

mommabear
Explorer C

My children have RR and now have enough points for a flight.  How would I use these points If I'm booking the flights for the family? Do I need to transfer their points to my account (paying a fee)? I'm assuming I can't buy an individual ticket under my 7 yr old's name... Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Using child's rapid rewards

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You assume incorrectly.

The child can certainly redeem their points for a ticket just like an adult. Unless something has changed recently you will need to have a confirmation number for an adult that you can associate with the child's reservation so they are not considered an unaccompanied minor.

So here's the process... Book the flights for all travelers except the child. Then log into the child's account and book the flight using the points. You should be prompted for the confirmation number of an adult who will be accompanying the child and you enter the confirmation number from the first reservation you made.

Don't transfer (or buy) points, it's a waste of money. The child's points can also be used to purchase a ticket for anyone else, not just the child. Just be logged into the child's account while making the reservation. You may actually want to book an adult's flight with the points so the child is on the same reservation as others and not by themselves. 

--TheMiddleSeat

mommabear
Explorer C

Thanks for the info! I've been used to Jetblue's pooled point system.  I'll take the extra steps to do 5 separate bookings for us to be able to use everyone's points on their ticket. I appreciate the help.

amandacox02
Explorer C

That's great info. Can you tell me how to sign into my child's RR account? I have RR numbers for all 3 of my children.  I tried to create a new account to sign into, using their RR number. However, the system is telling me that the birthdate is too young to allow an account to be set up.  All 3 of my children should have enough points to buy a ticket now, but I cannot figure out how to see their points balance.  TIA!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@amandacox02 wrote:

That's great info. Can you tell me how to sign into my child's RR account? I have RR numbers for all 3 of my children.  I tried to create a new account to sign into, using their RR number. However, the system is telling me that the birthdate is too young to allow an account to be set up.  All 3 of my children should have enough points to buy a ticket now, but I cannot figure out how to see their points balance.  TIA!

If your children already have RR accounts, you should not need to create new accounts.

Click on "my account" Input RR number

If you do not know the passwords, then simply click on "need help logging in."

You can reset the passwords there, or if the accounts were never set up, you can do that there, too.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@amandacox02 wrote:

You have accounts created, but are trying to create a new account?  Something isn't clear here.  There is no limit on age to create a RR account, I just created a test account for a non-existent 6 month old without any problems.

--TheMiddleSeat