Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Wanna Get Away Day Sweepstakes to celebrate Southwest's 50th! Win prizes from June 1 - June 18

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I don't need the tax implications of winning 1M points. Anyone here know at what level it gets reported to IRS? I'm assuming that 50 point won't be.

Re: Wanna Get Away Day Sweepstakes to celebrate Southwest's 50th! Win prizes from June 1 - June 18

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

I don't need the tax implications of winning 1M points. Anyone here know at what level it gets reported to IRS? I'm assuming that 50 point won't be.

6. Conditions: Payments of all applicable federal, state, and local taxes are solely the responsibility of the winner. Winner may be required to sign an IRS Form W-9 with the winner’s full social security number or the equivalent. Failure to submit a Form W-9 upon request will result in forfeiture of the prize. Winnings of $600 or more will be reported to the IRS in the calendar year in which the prize is awarded.

--------------

The 1M points has an approximate retail value of about $12,000. 

50 points is .60 🤣

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Just because Southwest does not report winnings of less than $600 does not mean that the IRS does not expect you to claim smaller payouts as income.

bec102896
Aviator A

My sister won 100 points today. I’m 0 for 2 days currently 

maryh1959
Adventurer C

O for 3 still trying

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

I'm also 0 for 3 😢

-Andrew

DEN based | Southwest Passenger

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

bec102896
Aviator A

I won 250 points today. 

I got the winner email before I even opened the 3 bags. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I won 250 points today. 

I got the winner email before I even opened the 3 bags. 

Ha! Really? I wonder if they send you an e-mail as soon as you enter your information and you get to the page where you make the bag selections. I'm sure it's all predetermined by a randomizer each day, so if there is a computer glitch and you can't click or something else happens, you'll still get your prize (or nothing) for the day. 

--Jessica

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

won 50 points today! 🙂  10 years ago, I won 100,000 points in the giveaway.  So hoping I can repeat.  or maybe my husband will win this year. LOL

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

My first day today, nodda.  Will keep trying.  Will do as Blake stated, sign up everybody.