Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What are tier-qualifying points?

RicoSuave98
Explorer C

I'm new to Rapid Rewards and I don't understand the term "tier qualifying points".  It's used 9 times in the Terms and Conditions, but it is never defined. 

At one point it says: "Tier qualifying points are earned through the purchase of revenue flights or through the use of" certain Rapid Rewards credit cards.  Later it says: "Tier qualifying points are not redeemable for travel on Southwest  or through the "More Rewards" site."

Are all points "earned through the purchase of revenue flights" tier qualifying points?  If so, doesn't that mean I can never use my Rapid Rewards points for travel on Southwest, because "tier qualifying points are not redeemable for travel on Southwest"?  Or does it mean tier qualifying points that are used to qualify for various tier statuses (A-List, A-List Preferred, etc.) are not redeemable for travel on Southwest?

1 REPLY 1

Re: What are tier-qualifying points?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Rapid Rewards points come in three "types," and a single point may be multiple types at the same time. There are effectively multiple "meters" in your account, and a point may actually register in multiple meters.

1) "Regular" points are points you can spend towards flights on Southwest, or for merchandise or travel on More Rewards if you have a Chase Rapid Rewards credit card. These points accrue as you earn them, and are deducted from your account when you spend them. This is the main "meter," which is the total of your points minus any you spend. You can earn these any number of ways -- flying, credit card spend, partner spending, surveys, Rapid Rewards dining, shopping, etc.

2) "Companion Pass Qualifying Points" (CPQ): Most "regular" points are also CPQ, meaning they accrue in your Companion Pass meter as you work to earn Companion Pass. That meter resets at the end of each calendar year. Almost all points are CPQ, with the exception of some "bonus" points.

3) "Tier Qualifying Points (TQP): Those "regular" points that you earned by actual travel on Southwest are also TQP, meaning they accrue in your A-List meter as you work to earn A-List and A-List Preferred. That meter resets at the end of each calendar year. A small amount of points earned with certain Rapid Rewards credit cards are also TQP.

Here are some examples:

You purchase a ticket and fly, and earn 1,000 points. Those 1,000 points are "regular" (spendable), Companion Pass qualifying, and Tier Qualifying.

You make a purchase on your Rapid Rewards credit card and earn 1,000 points. Those points are "regular" (spendable), and also Companion Pass qualifying.