Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What is a "tier bonus point"?

amwills67
Explorer C

I'm trying hard to get my companion pass in 2016 (for 2017).  I read that "tier bonus points" do not count toward advancement?  I'm trying to understand what exactly a tier bonus point is.  I'm counting on the additional points I get from A-List preferred membership (I'll have in a week or so).  Is that a "tier bonus point"?  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What is a "tier bonus point"?

franktravel
Aviator B

A Member who has a Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase will earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @amwills67,

To qualify for a Companion Pass, you will need to earn 110,000 Companion Pass Qualifying Points from any combination of Southwest Airlines flights and Rapid Rewards Partners per calendar year, or fly 100 Southwest Airlines qualifying one-way flights per calendar year. Points must be earned and posted to your Rapid Rewards account prior to the end of the calendar year in order to count toward Companion Pass qualification. Does that help? 

amwills67
Explorer C

No I understand that part.  This statement from the Program Terms and Conditions I am confused about.  

"Points purchased for personal use or as a gift, transferred points, points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and Partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points."

What is a Tier Bonus Point?  Are those the bonus points you get when you are within one of the program tiers?  For instance when I became an A-List I could earn additional points at that tier.  Is that what this refers to?

Thanks for your help!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @amwills67,

Wanted to make sure you got a clear answer on this question. Tier Bonus Points are the extra points that you accumulate per flight once you've achieved a tier status (A-List or A-List Preferred). So, yes, it is referring to those additional points that you're earning as an A-Lister. 

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Are you taking advantage of the points you can earn from Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Shoppimg, Southwest Rapid Rewards Dining, and free surveys at E-rewards and emiles?  Great way to  earn points if your not earning them from flying.