Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What's up with A List Membership?

rjdjr1947
Explorer C
Having just made A List status I was anxious to try out the priority access lane at MDW. I showed my card to the attendant when I entered the line and was pleased to see there was almost no wait at the initial security checkpoint. Then the TSA agent tells me I have TSA Pre-check, which I have had for several years, so he made me turn around and go back to the end of the pre-check line. I showed him my A List card but he wasn't the least bit impressed. What am I missing here? I thought the purpose was to speed us throughout the security process. I didn't check any luggage that day so I can't wait to see what happens when I try to use the priority bag check lane when I do.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: What's up with A List Membership?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The TSA agent was probably trying to save you some time and/or hassle since most people would prefer the lighter screening of PreCheck vs standard screening. Yes, having A-List status does allow you to use the priority line at the TSA checkpoint but it's still the standard screening. Personally, I always use PreCheck and only go in the priority line when PreCheck is closed. No need to carry a card, your status and PreCheck eligibility is all on your boarding pass. Remember, TSA is completely different than Southwest so TSA can occasionally give you a difficult time regarding your A-List status. Checking bags via Southwest's Fly By priority line is great and has never been a problem for me. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I've been on a few trips recently where the MDW lines were shorter with fly-by (or even the general lines) but I would still go to PreCheck due to keeping my shoes on, laptop in bag, etc.

Somewhat more experienced travelers in line in front of me (not universal unfortunately).

So I think they were "right" to point out PreCheck for you, but should have let you go to whichever line you wanted. Maybe you don't mind taking your shoes off, go for it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rjdjr1947
Explorer C

Thanks.  Somehow I thought priority access would allow me to go straight to the pre-check line from there.  Didn't realize it was the regular line I would have to go through.