Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What to do from here?

Tinkokeshi
Explorer C

Been a long time, loyal customer of Southwest Airlines. Love how easy it is to book travel, love the efficient manner in which boarding takes place, love all the friendly staff, and overall experience. That being said, I'm not sure where else to go with my issue.

About a week and a half ago, I logged on to book my Thanksgiving travel only to find about 183,000 rapid rewards points had been fraudulently used to redeem something through More Rewards. Upon contacting customer service, I was told that the "situation would be looked into to see if it could be categorized as fraud" by the Business Integrity Team.  Two days later I received a noreply email stating the following:

"Please know that our Rapid Rewards terms and conditions specifically state, “Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member's Account and will not replace stolen points or awards.” Our records indicate that you received the order in question; for this reason we are unable to make an additional exception at this time."

I called back that day (about a week ago now) to follow up and try and reiterate that it could not have possibly been me that received the package as I no longer live in the state in which the package was delivered to. Furthermore, the UPS tracking for the reward package was redirected twice, and picked up at a UPS location, NOT at the address on file. I was told that the inquiry had be closed since the package had been delivered. 

I then called up UPS with the tracking number and found out the city, date, and time in which the package was picked up, and called Southwest again with information regarding my not possibly being able to pick up the package as I am working in Texas now and the package was delivered to California on a work day where I can prove I definitely wasn't in California.

At this point, I'm just met with extreme disappointment in that as a loyal customer of decades who has flown primarily SWA, received the companion pass for multiple consecutive years, and A List on and off, that my claim for points fraud has not been taken seriously, nor has it been addressed properly.

What is the purpose of all the loylaty if all it takes is a fraudulent claim to erase years of dedication and trust in your brand?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What to do from here?

SWDigits
Aviator A
This isn't a fun post to read, sorry to see your experience. 183,000 points are worth quite a bit of money. I'd file a police report and get in touch with Southwest in writing with a copy of the police report. See the "Contact Us" section at the bottom of the discussion forum pages. You could start with Twitter but I would also send everything via snail mail too.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:
This isn't a fun post to read, sorry to see your experience. 183,000 points are worth quite a bit of money. I'd file a police report and get in touch with Southwest in writing with a copy of the police report. See the "Contact Us" section at the bottom of the discussion forum pages. You could start with Twitter but I would also send everything via snail mail too.

ditto to what Swdigits said

1) Do file a police report - your points were worth at least $2700

2) Call customer relations and ask again. If you get no satisfaction, ask to speak to a customer relations supervisor

3) If you get no satisfaction, write a letter to SW's CEO. Be sure to include a description of who you talked with at SW previous to the letter, and include a copy of the police report. There are several documented times in this community where SW has reinstated points.

Good luck

Gary Kelly

CEO

Southwest Airlines
P.O. Box 36647 
Dallas, Texas 75235

Mgo
Explorer C

This just happened to me 100, 000 points were redeemed without my consent and now trying to reach someone to help me. I have emailed, called, etc and no help. I’m so disappointed I was saving my points for years to have a family vacation. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Hey there,

Yikes! I'm so sorry to hear of this incident. Unfortunately, because this is a volunteered based community, I can't do much, but I went ahead and escalated this to the team that monitors the Community to see if there's anyway this can be reviewed! Wings crossed, my fellow passenger.

Please feel free to post here with any questions or updates if we (volunteers) can help!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger