Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: When do points post for credit card?

micahbgibbs
Explorer C

We ended up getting screwed this year, we had companion pass the last few years from our Chase RR Card, but this year were were at 108k on 12/4 which I guess happened to be our statement end date, but last year we were told as long as the points are accumulated on your credit card by 12/31 they will be applied. This of course did not happen and we were not give companion pass for 2018 becasue we did not have 110k on 12/4.  We had accumulated more than required by 12/31, not sure if it helps to call, but I am very frustrated because we are not in control of our statement closing date, and this mean we only have 11 months instead of 12.  

randalascott
Explorer C

You still have 12 months because the points that were posted the previous December would have been applied to January of this year, so you're not missing out on having 12 months to get your CP.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@micahbgibbs wrote:

We ended up getting screwed this year, we had companion pass the last few years from our Chase RR Card, but this year were were at 108k on 12/4 which I guess happened to be our statement end date, but last year we were told as long as the points are accumulated on your credit card by 12/31 they will be applied. This of course did not happen and we were not give companion pass for 2018 becasue we did not have 110k on 12/4.  We had accumulated more than required by 12/31, not sure if it helps to call, but I am very frustrated because we are not in control of our statement closing date, and this mean we only have 11 months instead of 12.  

Perhaps you should contact Chaae NOW and request that your billing date be changed to something like the 15th so the same thing won't happen this year?

Also, as the other poster said, you did receive 12 months of credit -- the first of which was 1/4/18 and the 12th of which was 12/4/18

Points not applied

Jhyland
Explorer C

I was super messed up -  purchased $150.00 from their travel partner on 12-30 and 12-31-21, to give me the points I needed last year (1200) to reach CC pass.  They posted on my Card Statement on the correct dates but didn't show on the actual statement until February.  The points from the Partner were never sent to SWA.    I would still like to fix it but not sure how to proceed.  

Re: Points not applied

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jhyland wrote:

I was super messed up -  purchased $150.00 from their travel partner on 12-30 and 12-31-21, to give me the points I needed last year (1200) to reach CC pass.  They posted on my Card Statement on the correct dates but didn't show on the actual statement until February.  The points from the Partner were never sent to SWA.    I would still like to fix it but not sure how to proceed.  

I'm confused. You were trying to get   Companion Pass in 2021, but apparently failed. 

How does fixing it now make much of a difference, since the pass you would have earned in 2021 would expire on 12/31/22.

The rule on Companion Pass  points is that as long as you "earned" them in 2021, then they could towards 2021 companion pass regardless of when they actually show up in your RR account. You earn points from Chase on the date your monthly statement issues.

To clarify what you said

kmcnemar2405
Explorer C

when qualifiying for SW Companion - do you just have to make a purchase before the closing date of your cycle or do you have to pay your bill to get the points for companion pass status.

Re: To clarify what you said

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@kmcnemar2405 purchase made before statement closing date. Payment has nothing to do with points processing.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: To clarify what you said

dfwskier
Aviator A

To be absolutely accurate, most credit card purchases post to an account ON THE DAY AFTER

the purchase.  They show up as "pending" until then.

'So if you buy something on your statement closing date, then the purchase will show up as payable on the next month's statement, and points will be earned on the next month's statement.

ali012
Explorer B

Hey there,

Great to hear you're close to hitting that Companion Pass milestone! Typically, points accrue based on the billing cycle closing date of your credit card, not necessarily the payment date. If your purchases reflect on your statement before the year ends and the billing cycle closes in time, those points should count towards this calendar year's total. However, to ensure clarity and accuracy in timing, it's a good idea to confirm this directly with Southwest or Chase to align your strategy for qualifying for the Companion Pass. Best of luck reaching that milestone!