Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When do points start accumulating for Companion Pass RENEWAL?

CB1998
Explorer C

I earned a companion pass in June of this year, so I know I will have it until the end of 2019.  I know we'll want to try to have it renewed starting in 2020 because we have a big trip coming up then.  Will the points that I am earning the rest of this year and next year count towards the renewal? 

I've done a bunch of searches trying to figure this out, but I'm coming up empty handed.  

Thanks for any info!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: When do points start accumulating for Companion Pass RENEWAL?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@CB1998 wrote:

I earned a companion pass in June of this year, so I know I will have it until the end of 2019.  I know we'll want to try to have it renewed starting in 2020 because we have a big trip coming up then.  Will the points that I am earning the rest of this year and next year count towards the renewal? 

I've done a bunch of searches trying to figure this out, but I'm coming up empty handed.  

Thanks for any info!

No, not for this year, yes the points for next year. Your goal should be to earn 110,000 points during CY 2019 in order to earn your 2020 pass - points earned during the remainder of 2018 won't count for that purpose. 

The A-list and companion pass qualifying periods are for points posted in a calendar year. 

For someone that will continually have companion pass, the idea would be to earn the 110,000 points each calendar year, then your renewal will continue uninterrupted. 

Depending when the trip was in 2020 you could also earn the points during 2020 prior to the trip, and then have compoanion pass the remainder of 2020 and through all of 2021.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: When do points start accumulating for Companion Pass RENEWAL?

CB1998
Explorer C

Thanks for the clarification!  I appreciate it.