Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Which is better Book southwest flights through Chase or Transfer Points?

alexhoi
Explorer C

Hello everyone,
I have quite a few Unlimited Reward points. Chase gives me the option to transfer my points 1:1 to Southwest, or book through Chase directly. From what I see, If i transfer points to southwest, then book through southwest, the USD cost is $333 or it would be 20793 points.

But If i book through Chase, then the cost is still $333, but my Sapphire card gives a 1.25X multiplier on points, and so the point cost would be 24972. More than just booking directly even though I have a multiplier?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Which is better Book southwest flights through Chase or Transfer Points?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

When I last used Ultimate Rewards, Southwest was not a redemption partner, BUT if I understand the current situation, definitely book through Ultimate Rewards for two reasons:

1. It is the better deal due to the bonus.
  2. I believe you will still be able to accrue Rapid Rewards, tier qualifying, and Companion Pass qualifying points on the flight where you would not if you booked directly with SW points.

I believe you have to call to make the booking with Ultimate Rewards. Hope that helps!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

This ones is pretty simple. Bonus + RR point accrual is better than no bonus + not accruing RR points. 😉

dfwskier
Aviator A

RR points used to buy SW tickets are worth about 1.6 cents each - that  includes the

reduced taxes when one uses points instead of cash.

Compare the value of your Chase points with that value to determine which is better.