Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why do you have to pay to transfer Reward Points you've already earned??

k9carlos
Explorer C

I was wanting to transfer my reward points so that my daughter could use them for an upcoming trip.  When I went to do it though it turns out that you have to pay based on how many points you're transferring.  Why is this if I've already earned the points? For the cost of the transfer I could just buy her the ticket and keep my points.  Is this how it really is or am I going about it wrong?  

edit .. i should clarify, she's a minor and will be flying w/ her mom

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Why do you have to pay to transfer Reward Points you've already earned??

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest contracts out the point sale and transfer function to a third party as a profit center.

Unless you need to combine points with another person's balance, you really don't need to transfer points since points can be used to book a flight for anyone.

HaewonSWRR
Explorer C

Does anybody know who the 3rd party contractor is who collects on points transferred? I'm not sure, but I would like to request that they refund the $435 I got charged on my credit card. It may not work, but now, in this financial situation, I need to try. Yes, I should have stopped when I was asked for my credit card info, but who's not crazy right now? Do you think it will fly? Because I will not. Not for any time in the foreseeable future. Meanwhile 103,000 points sit in a Rapid Rewards account. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@HaewonSWRR wrote:

Does anybody know who the 3rd party contractor is who collects on points transferred? I'm not sure, but I would like to request that they refund the $435 I got charged on my credit card. It may not work, but now, in this financial situation, I need to try. Yes, I should have stopped when I was asked for my credit card info, but who's not crazy right now? Do you think it will fly? Because I will not. Not for any time in the foreseeable future. Meanwhile 103,000 points sit in a Rapid Rewards account. 

I'm confused.

You say you were charged $435 to transfer points, and then say you have 103,000 points in your account.

Who was transferring points to whom?

I think the only entity that can transfer points is Southwest, and Southwest's fee to transfer 103,000 points would have been $1030. So, if you used another entity, then you may have been scammed.

Sounds to me like you should protest the charge with your credit card company.

bec102896
Aviator A

@HaewonSWRR wrote:

Was this done through points.com? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Points.com is the 3rd party who conducts points sales & transfers for Southwest. And unfortunately all Points.com points transactions are non-refundable, per the terms disclosed during the transaction.

yolie_s
Explorer C

Wondering if you were able to get this resolved? I have a very similar issue and want to see if anyone was successful resolving this.

Thanks.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @k9carlos

Consider simply purchasing a flight for your daughter with your points instead of transferring them to her account. You can use your Rapid Rewards points to book a ticket for anyone, and there's no charge for doing that!

Good Info.

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Thanks for the direct buy tip.

I am a Sailor