Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wifi On Aircraft

jhubbard123
Explorer C

Hi all,

New to A-List Preferred and wanted to find out what you do to get the free Wifi access? 

TIA,

Love me some SWA!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Wifi On Aircraft

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

When you are on a Wifi flight you just connect with your Rapid Rewards number. 

jhubbard123
Explorer C

Thanks!

jmarkgriffin
Explorer C

Southwest has indicated to me that only 20% of its fleet is still the 300 series plane.  We all know the 300s do not have wi-fi service.  I am a Preferred status member and fly most weeks in the year.  Over half of my flights past 15 flights did not have wi-fi capability.  I fly all over the country.  This is not because of specified routes.

I fly SWA because of the convenience of flying out of Houston Hobby, San Antonio or Love Field.  I have flown multiple long distance flights of over 2-3 hours that do not have basic internet service.  I flew FFL to Hou last night ... no internet.  I am flying KC to Hou tomorrow evening ... no internet.  I am a frustrated business traveller with no access to my email.  SWA does not indicate before you purchase if the flight will have wifi.  It also does not send you an email if it does not have wifi.  So, we all sit around waiting for this lucky lottery email that says we can access the internet.  I feel that I am getting ripped off regarding one of my perks for being a Preferred member of the SWA frequent flyer program.  I really like SWA for its customer service. but I just feel I am being short changed.  Please quit airing the commercial about watching football on your planes.  I missed the best Cowboy game of the year last night becuase the lack of internet service.  That's pretty sad for a Dallas based company.

Jeffrey Griffin

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

They do list if the flight is wifi.  Next time you go to purchase a flight click on the flight number that is hilighted in blue. 

Good luck! 

philmcollins51
Explorer C

He said that they don't list it if it not a wifi flight. This just leaves you to wonder. it would really be nice for all flights to be wifi. Maybe soon. I don't have to pay but would gladly pay just to have it on all flights.

Bergerqueen
Explorer C

Congrats on your status, but good luck with accessing the free Wi-Fi!!  I have been an A-List Preferred member for years and loggin into the free Wi-Fi used to be simple. Ever since Southwest updated their landing page in July(?) 2023, I haven't been able to access my free Wi-Fi either using my confirmation number (this is new) or using my Rapid Rewards number.  I get the same message every time "It's not you, it's us!  Refresh this page and try again" both on my tablet and cell phone.  None of the customer service agents, flight attendants, or gate agents have heard this complaint.  It's really a pain to pay every time and have to email customer service to be refunded...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Bergerqueen wrote:

Congrats on your status, but good luck with accessing the free Wi-Fi!!  I have been an A-List Preferred member for years and loggin into the free Wi-Fi used to be simple. Ever since Southwest updated their landing page in July(?) 2023, I haven't been able to access my free Wi-Fi either using my confirmation number (this is new) or using my Rapid Rewards number.  I get the same message every time "It's not you, it's us!  Refresh this page and try again" both on my tablet and cell phone.  None of the customer service agents, flight attendants, or gate agents have heard this complaint.  It's really a pain to pay every time and have to email customer service to be refunded...

I have a potential workaround for you - go to the "activate free texting" and do that first if you are on a phone or tablet and then try the ALP login again. I had this get stuck before too but it ended up working if I did the other activities in a certain order and then tried to login for the free benefit internet again.

But sometimes it works from the beginning and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.