Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will A-LIST status get extended? into 2023

thejeffcruz
Explorer C

Like a lot of people who are long time loyal Southwest A-List frequent flyers.... I am 2 flights legs away from getting A-list for 2023.  I booked a flight from Nashville to Atlanta and back on Friday 12/30... but that same direct flight has been canceled (in advance) every single day this week... including Thursday, and there are NO other flights available to change to on Friday or Saturday (which is 12/31) so that means IF they cancel my Friday flight (which seems likely at this point) I will not be able to get that flight in between now and the end of the year to get that A-list credit...  

I know there are many others like this right now, so I wonder with all this horrible debacle of weeks of cancelations by the tens of thousands, that will be forced to extend A-list for people like us?? 

what do we do if they cancel and do NOT offer to give us credit for the flights we booked, paid for and tried to use to keep that level of status.... ???? 

thoughts ? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Will A-LIST status get extended? into 2023

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is no way to know.

You'll have to wait to find out.

jazzpilot56
Adventurer B

Mine was extended until 1/31/23. [Note I did send an email inquiring about extending the period to renew my CP and A-List status]

-Will

- Will (where there's a will there's a way)

bec102896
Aviator A

Is this shown on your account anywhere? 

TheConnection
Explorer C

I had a 12/28 Business Select flight cancelled.  No way to rebook for any other flight.  I sent a message. This appeared yesterday.  That one flight would have renewed my Preferred status.  I do have flights (Business Select) booked for first week of January.  It says my status is extended through 1/31/23 now but I don’t know if that means the earning period is or the status.  Also.  If the earning proof is… I better be getting credit toward  both 2022 AND 2023  status for January flights… otherwise they just shorted 2023 earning periods by a month!  You’d think they would issue a formal statement.  

52D7B8B9-FA02-4539-AC6B-F88F05E874AB.jpeg

11B3F7CB-C3E0-49C8-A6E4-5455DF15A98F.jpeg

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheConnection wrote:

I had a 12/28 Business Select flight cancelled.  No way to rebook for any other flight.  I sent a message. This appeared yesterday.  That one flight would have renewed my Preferred status.  I do have flights (Business Select) booked for first week of January.  It says my status is extended through 1/31/23 now but I don’t know if that means the earning period is or the status.  Also.  If the earning proof is… I better be getting credit toward  both 2022 AND 2023  status for January flights… otherwise they just shorted 2023 earning periods by a month!  You’d think they would issue a formal statement.  

52D7B8B9-FA02-4539-AC6B-F88F05E874AB.jpeg

11B3F7CB-C3E0-49C8-A6E4-5455DF15A98F.jpeg

Here is the latest: 

Southwest will:

• Extend the elite-qualifying period for 2022 status to include January 2023. In other words, if you have been earning toward A-list or A-list preferred but you ended up a segment or two short because of last week’s cancellations, you’re in luck — January 2023 travel will count along with your 2022 activity. Note that January will also count toward earning status in 2023 (for 2024).
  • Extend Companion Passes that are set to expire on 12/31/22 to now expire on 1/31/23. While it’s just one extra month, it means that those who missed out on a last chance to use their expiring Companion Pass will now get an extended last dance with it. Note that I don’t think this is reflecting yet in accounts, but I expect it will by 1/1.

https://frequentmiler.com/southwest-extends-companion-pass-and-qualifying-period-by-a-month/

--Jessica

jazzpilot56
Adventurer B

I did see this which is a little more helpful:

Additionally, we are identifying Members whose disrupted travel would have qualified them for A-List, or A-List Preferred, and/or Companion Pass in 2023, and will provide further communication soon…”

- Will (where there's a will there's a way)