Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

YE 2022 CPQ Tier Points - 7500 away in 2022 for 23' Companion Pass - need an assist!

smg5209
Explorer B

Hello all - 

I am hoping DancingDavid and/or MiddleSeat see this and can throw me an assist!

A-lister but first time (potential) Companion Pass qualifier going into 2023... I've tried my fair share of trying to reading the fine print regarding CPQ Tier points that qualify given where i stand and what i can do to qualify going into last billing cycle/statement close, which next closing date on SW Chase CC is 12/18/22 - even though i called Chase to push back closing date/billing cycle to 12/23  a couple days back-- looks like hasn't been updated. I will call Chase tomorrow to check status of pushing back closing date and if it went through.

Have 117.5k of 125k CPQ points - so 7500 needed by 12/18.

- On Chase LUV CC it shows 6600 approx pending points 

- Yesterday & Today - made two separate 1-800 flowers orders over the $30 approx limit  using the "qualifying code."  (so 2,000 CPQ's there i believe..)

- I did book an expensive flight to PVR from DAL for 3/2023 for myself and one other (which to my understanding has to actually be flown or flight completed within 2022 to qualify specifically or CPQ's pts.

- The "pending" points, i understand not all of them will qualify for CP but i feel a pretty good chunk will given the last prior activity statements & details regarding CPQ.

It looks like it's going to be a "nail-biter" of whether/whether not i cross the CP finish line regarding qualification for CP! I understand from prior discussion/posts that it doesn't matter when you make payment - it's which cycle and to which calendar year it falls on...

Any last minute suggestions and/or expert advice here? I know crunch time but would hate to miss by a couple thousand CPQ points!

It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time/help if so. Happy Holidays!

+++ MiddleSeat & DancingDavid??

-MG

17 REPLIES 17

Re: YE 2022 CPQ Tier Points - 7500 away in 2022 for 23' Companion Pass - need an assist!

bec102896
Aviator A

you could book a hotel though southwest hotels or book a BS flight RT flight to get the points 

@DancingDavidE @TheMiddleSeat  looks like you have a fan 😜 

Re: YE 2022 CPQ Tier Points - 7500 away in 2022 for 23' Companion Pass - need an assist!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you want to book a 6 leg, one day adventure to earn the points @bec102896 is your guy to help with that 😂🤣😂🤣

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

If you want to book a 6 leg, one day adventure to earn the points @bec102896 is your guy to help with that 😂🤣😂🤣

--TheMiddleSeat

Just did that 2 weekends in a row 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I appreciate you having so much faith in my ability to contribute something helpful to your situation. Thank you for that. Hope I don't let you down and I'm sure there are some other great contributers here that can help you. 

You're right, this is going to be close, but unless I'm not following your numbers correctly you basically have it done already. You seem to have a pretty good understanding of how the credit card earning works. If you have approx $6600 in posted charges that will be included in a statement closing Dec 18 then you will get at least 6600 points. You may have some charges that earn 2x such as streaming services? So perhaps a handful more points. From what I vaguely recall you cannot adjust the upcoming closing date, but rather the one after it, but it's definitely worth calling Chase see what they can do. Having it close earlier may be helpful as you know exactly how many points you will need and you have almost 2 weeks to figure out how to get them.

If I'm correct in understanding the numbers so far with just credit card spend you're short 900ish points? 7500-6600=900 Am I misunderstanding what you mean by pending points? If the charge has posted and is not shown as pending when you look at your current statement charges then you will get points for it. Or did you already factor those in and still have 7500 you need? 

Then if the points from flowers post you're over the threshold. So perhaps I'm missing something? 

You are correct you will not earn points from flying until after you complete the flight. If you paid for the flight with the Southwest credit card there's some extra bonus points there so that helps. Were those on a previous statement or on the one closing 12/18?

At this point I think it would be good if you could clarify if we're both on the same page regarding your credit card spend. 

One other quick thing to check is if you qualify for any category bonuses on the card, specifically a 10x gas and 5x grocery and Amazon bonus that was on many Southwest cards in the 4th quarter. Go to https://www.chase.com/mybonus and enter your info. If you have that bonus available and have put gas, grocery, or Amazon charges on the card since Oct 1 it will give you all the bonus points retroactively. You can use the Chase spend analyzer to see how much you have spent in those categories. You can also buy a $100 gift card at a gas station for a quick and easy 1000 points IF the charge posts to your card before the 18th. In other words IF you qualify for the bonus go buy gift cards at a gas station ASAP. 

After the credit card points post the next two easy options are to hop on a plane or book a hotel. You really need to know how many points you need after credit card points post before you can make a plan. The hotel is probably the way to go, but I will wait for you to clarify things before explaining too much about that. 

Hopefully that helps and fingers crossed you are better off than you feared. I'll check back in the AM. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Update: I just found the pending points in the Chase app. Those definitely are what is expected to post to your RR account after the statement closes so 6600 points as of right now gets you almost to the finish line unless you already factored those into the calculation of 7500 needed. 

smg5209
Explorer B

@TheMiddleSeat @Thank you for the quick response!

You are correct in your thinking of 7500 needed and 6600 pending as of this closing statement 12/18 or have not been added yet (NOT factored in) to my understanding. It was my thought process as well, seeing I had a differential of 900 pts to cross the finish line. Given the 1-800 flowers were just charged I presume the 2k pts will take a bit post closing statement to posts.

Given my reasoning or logic, I would think I have accrued enough or over 125k CPQ to get the CP.. but wanted to be “bulletproof.” 

Am I missing something or are we on the same page as I think we are? 

Have all but 1-2 steaming services set up via auto pay given given AMEX pays for the 2. I’m going to PVR trip in March anyway so bought and will be included in 12/18 closing, given I thought it couldn’t hurt to try! Had to buy tix anyway.

See snip-it’s to back my support/rationale as any holes to poke into my reasoning?

Excellent point on Chase pushing back closing date starts next statement, makes sense there but given they told me they already changed, I’ll call them in the AM to get the details.

1F53E68B-48D2-48B0-B65D-43DFEA91264B.jpeg

“Pending Points” looks like back the “7500 less 6600=900” points needed for CP.. and states available AFTER 12/23 (so as I’m typing may actually have changed closing since I looked yesterday..)

C3B4C0A6-34AB-4AA7-99AA-3C47967DAD2E.jpeg

9850669C-5AD1-4D5D-A658-13F9D774B368.jpeg

In close I think I have done enough and should be fine but wanted expert advice or 2nd opinions from you and others! 

Thoughts? 

smg5209
Explorer B

Also - never heard of the potential Chase Q4 bonus and check spending analyzer for gift card qualifiers - excellent idea and will check now and for future use.

One place I lost you is keep closing at 12/18 as I have two weeks to find out what’s missing regarding points? Wouldn’t that mean that post 12/18 spend would close in Jan 2023 and credit towards points accrual for next year?

Again - really appreciate thoughts and support here! 
-M

smg5209
Explorer B

@TheMiddleSeat - Same Page here? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, I think we're on the same page and agree you only need 900ish points after your credit card points post.  If you are able to enroll in the bonus I provided the link to that could cut that number significantly depending on what your spending was.  Any bonus points from streaming and Southwest purchases are already factored into the pending points calculation so the only thing that isn't in the 6600 pending would be the bonus from the sign up I shared and future spending.  If you do qualify for that bonus I would go today and purchase any gift card(s) at a gas station for a total of $100 to get 1000 points.  Once that charge posts it will be included in the pending points and you'll know if it got you the final points you needed.

So, you'll have to tell me if you were able to sign up for the bonus.

You are correct that additional credit card spend after your closing date will not count towards CP this time, but what I was referring to was non-credit card related earnings that can be completed after closing date.  Once your closing date occurs you will know the final number of points earned from credit card and can make a plan to earn any remaining from non-credit card activities such as flowers, hotels, Rapid Rewards Shopping or Dining, or getting on a flight.

Based on what you've said you should be totally fine if all points post in time.  I don't remember how long the bonus from flowers took to post years ago when I did it, but it didn't seem to be too long after.  At this point max out any remaining credit card spend you are willing/able to do and see what's left when statement closes.

--TheMiddleSeat

smg5209
Explorer B

No good on the card bonus qualifier - says my card is ineligible. I think i should be good on points, I would hope as my CC spending on 2x items are pretty good given prior monthly statements. 

You were entirely correct - Chase will take 1-2 statements to process the change of a closing/statement date. 

Last question - really i have is given the YE Qualifying Transactions, it does say qualifying flight is flown in 2022.. so the Mexico trip that i booked on 12/14 (close is 12/18/22) a couple days back won't count at all towards this statement's CPQ's? 

On Chase CC under transaction details 12/13/22 transaction date//12/15/22 was posted date- it lists 3x SW pts as it seems to count the points..see below.

smg5209_0-1671214193889.png

However - under the Chase RR Recent Purchases, shows up as 0 pts -- so as you mentioned prior, it guess it qualifies for 2023.

smg5209_1-1671215120832.png

@TheMiddleSeat  THANK YOU for all of your help!! It's truly appreciated and big thanks to you!!

Happy Holidays