Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cancellation reimbursement for Delta replacement tix - purchased w miles

ATLbasedpass
Explorer C

Hi everyone! Happy new year! I was caught in the December 26 cancellations and frantically rebooked with Delta but I paid for my Delta tix with my miles. Has anyone gotten a reimbursement for their miles instead of $? Were Southwest *miles* issued 1:1 value? Or did they convert to $? I contacted Delta and I had to submit a claim to know the $ equivalent, which will take a few days. I can't recall the $ value of my ticket because I purchased with points. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: cancellation reimbursement for Delta replacement tix - purchased w miles

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm in the same boat.  I submitted a claim, stated I used xxx United points and value the points at 1.3 cents per point.  That seemed to be a reasonable valuation based on the ranges I saw online.  I also did not note the cash price of the fare (doh!).  In my request I requested vouchers in the amount of xxx points times 1.3 cents per point as I thought I might be more likely to get vouchers than cash as reimbursement for points.  If Delta will provide more information that might help, but I would just find a valuation and submit the request.

Good luck with your request

--TheMiddleSeat

RareTraveler
Explorer A

Southwest, in issuing a refund, didn't refund me cash for the travel credits (not points) used for the flight that was cancelled. So, for example, I had 285 travel credits that I used for a roundtrip ticket and the outbound flight was cancelled and they refunded the cash I used to pay for the flight but refunded me 97 dollars in travel credits.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@RareTraveler you appear to be referring to Southwest travel credits. This discussion is about reimbursement for points used on an airline other than Southwest.

It appears to me that you were refunded for the value of one leg of your reservation. If you are looking for a refund from Southwest you can request it here: https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

--TheMiddleSeat

RareTraveler
Explorer A

Right - my point is that if they didn't refund me cash for using travel credits, they probably wouldn't refund cash for points on another airline. My guess is that they would refund in SW travel credits.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest definitely would not refund travel credits as cash. You will note in my response I requested vouchers for reimbursement, not cash. I don't think the Southwest credit situation you experienced leads to an automatic answer for what to do with other airlines credits, but I'm completely good with receiving Southwest vouchers if that removes obstacles from the reimbursement process.

--TheMiddleSeat

ATLbasedpass
Explorer C

Hey @TheMiddleSeat ... no response on my end from Delta when I submitted a claim for valuation to support my Southwest reimbursement claim. Also, I do not have a response from Southwest on my reimbursement claim. I'll post here once I do! 

Delta does not post anywhere on its website what is the miles per dollar valuation. I couldn't calculate it. I called customer service and they spoke to their colleagues. They couldn't give me an answer either. I asked if they could just pull historical price data for my exact ticket. They said it's more complicated than that and asked me to put in my claim with Delta.

I really wished I toggled to the cash value of the fare before I booked it but I couldn't pay with cash at the time of booking so I didn't bother. (I was already out the money for my Southwest ticket.) 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ATLbasedpass thanks for the update, sorry you weren't able to get any help from Delta. A very quick search of the internet suggests Delta point values anywhere from 1.1 to 1.5 cents per point which is quite the range. Did you provide a specific value when you submitted the claim to Southwest or just said how many points you used?

I still have not yet received anything from Southwest other than two automated messages that they were still working on my claim. I suspect, and this is purely a guess with no insider info, that Southwest is working through claims in order of how easy they are. Clear cut claims with receipts and cash payments might be getting processed first before they get to the more interesting ones like you and I have. The only posts I have seen about reimbursement getting paid seem to have been straightforward claims.

I still believe Southwest is trying to do their best and make this right for everyone. It will certainly be interesting to see what decisions they make regarding reimbursements for points. I hope someday I can see some statistics about the claims, including how many used points on other airlines. I'll be sure to bring it up in our next Community Champions meeting. Please post again if you hear anything else about your claim. 

--TheMiddleSeat

ATLbasedpass
Explorer C

Hello @TheMiddleSeat I did not provide a value - just an email receipt with the miles used to purchase.

Sure, will update!

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'd be surprised at any cash reimbursement for points used on another airline. Southwest would not reimburse in cash for points used on SW, so I doubt it would be different with another airline.

Since the points between Delta and SW are similarly valued, maybe points for points would be the most equitable solution.