Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: cancellation reimbursement for Delta replacement tix - purchased w miles

ATLbasedpass
Explorer C

Hello everyone, Southwest reimbursed me $306. I requested a reimbursement for meals and taxis to and from airport. I used Delta SkyMiles 46,500 points for my replacement tix. NerdWallet says those points are about $637. What a lesson learned to just book with cash when it’s not your fault you have to rebook…. Does anyone know whether and how this should be contested?

Re: cancellation reimbursement for Delta replacement tix - purchased w miles

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ATLbasedpass I'm glad to hear you received something, that's a good start.  You did not specify how much the meals and taxi were so it's not possible to determine what valuation you were given for the points.  More info is needed to be able to give a informed opinion.  Also, as I said before various sites online seem to value Delta points at 1.1 to 1.5 cents per point so there is definitely discretion there as to what you will get and since (if I recall correctly) you did not provide a suggested valuation it's might be hard to go back now and argue.  You can certainly send back a request for more, but you will need to determine what valuation you received and send back a reasonable counter offer.

Edit: I'm also quite surprised you were given cash for the points.  You may have better luck negotiating any future reimbursement as vouchers or RR points.

--TheMiddleSeat