Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

companion pass: earning points

smithfam3
Explorer C

I am 5000 points short of earning companion pass and I didn't realize it until last week.  Since my CC posted last week, I won't be able to earn any more points that way.  If I use the shopping on line through the Southwest site, do you know if the points from those purchases will post before Jan. 1??? I saw that with Sun Basket I can earn 2700 points as well as other things I could use and earn up to 5000.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: companion pass: earning points

SWDigits
Aviator A

See this Southwest page: "2019 Rapid Rewards® Qualifying Transactions for 2020 Status"

Be very careful as some of the partner activity only requires a purchase in 2019 while some of the partner activity requires the points to post in 2019.  Obviously in your situation you only want the ones that only require the purchase or transaction in 2019.

Also for reference this is another related thread: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards/Laithwaites-Wine-Offer/td-p/99128

Good luck!

Customer | Home airport DCA

smithfam3
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the links! We will be staying in a hotel tomorrow night for only $200 (actually a much needed staycation alone for us) and earning 6000 points!!!😊

Valentine0519
Explorer C

I just purchased from Macy's to get the 5,000 points I need for a companion pass. Will this purchase be used towards 2019 so I will get a 2020 companion pass?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @Valentine0519! There are lots of quirks to end of year processing, so it depends if you made the purchase on your Chase card or via Rapid Rewards Shopping. See if this helps: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Nicole
Community Manager

dfwskier
Aviator A

As I just said to another person in a similar situation, a flight is one guaranteed way. Since you need that many points, some type of business select flight would be the way to go.