Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

companion pass notification email

bearkissjim
Explorer C

hello!  new to the forum but long time southwest flyer...

just reached the companion pass status thru the credit card and the points have shown in the southwest system!  

my question is once you reach that level like i have, how soon do you get the email telling you it's time to pick your companion?  

I have a flight coming up in 12 days - i called southwest - they were able to verify that i reached the level, but said they couldn't push it thru to get the email any quicker - i would just have to wait until the automated system sends it to me...

thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: companion pass notification email

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No need to wait for an email. Log into your account and pick your companion. If you really have earned CP it will be reflected in the account almost immediately.

--TheMiddleSeat

bearkissjim
Explorer C

that's what i thought...  but sadly right now it's telling me I have reached the level, but the option to add companion is grayed out and not able to be accessed!   that's why i called to inquire and the rep told me even they couldn't force it thru just yet... 

(i did just reach the level with yesterdays credit card billing cycle)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Odd. I guess give it a day? You've got 12 days so no need to panic.

--TheMiddleSeat

bearkissjim
Explorer C

true!  thanks for the advice... i guess i'm just "anxious"!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@bearkissjim I agree, it should show up sooner than later.  HOWEVER, I wouldn't wait to book your flight, BOOK IT NOW, and then add your companion to get the best price or time.  I always used to wait on if my companion was going or not, (more times not) and missed out on a better flight or price.  Once you add that person as your companion, go in and add her to the flight.  You will have different reservation numbers, but you will have the flight you wanted and hopefully at the price you wanted.

bearkissjim
Explorer C

good advice - thanks!   in this case we each had separate bookings just in case already...

but the best news is the email did arrive - companion pass is now in effect - we cancelled their flight & rebooked them as my companion!

hoping to get a lot of use out of it - because we were fortunate enough to get companion pass at end of 2019 & all of 2020 and well we all know what happened and DIDN'T GET TO USE IT A SINGLE TIME!   

we plan to make up for that this time!

bec102896
Aviator A

@bearkissjim wrote:

good advice - thanks!   in this case we each had separate bookings just in case already...

but the best news is the email did arrive - companion pass is now in effect - we cancelled their flight & rebooked them as my companion!

hoping to get a lot of use out of it - because we were fortunate enough to get companion pass at end of 2019 & all of 2020 and well we all know what happened and DIDN'T GET TO USE IT A SINGLE TIME!   

we plan to make up for that this time!

Don't forget to use the companions funds before they expire. You can use the funds to pay the government tax (for the $5.60 fee each way or higher for international flights)