Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

companion pass

wblessingm
Explorer C

I just applied for a Chase Southwest card. I was going to take my time throughout the year to reach 125000 points and get the 2 following years with the pass. Then I read this on the Chase site.  <Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. For example, if you make a purchase after your December billing statement cycle date, the points on those purchases will not count toward Companion Pass status in the year the purchase was made; they will appear on your January billing statement and post to your Rapid Rewards Account in January.>   Does this mean to get the full 2 years you would have to acquire all your points at the beginning of the year you got the card? Or am I reading it wrong? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: companion pass

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@wblessingm wrote:

Yes, it does mean that you need to acquire all 125,000 points in one calendar year.

In order to get all your Christmas purchases to count, just tell Chase that you want your billing date to the the 28th. So you'll get your final bunch of points from Chase on 12/28/21. 

You said  " I was going to take my time throughout the year to reach 125000 points and get the 2 following years with the pass. "

Actually, it makes sense to earn the pass as soon as possible.  Once you've earned the pass it's good for the balance of the year that you earned it as well as the entire next year.

It is not possible to earn a pass in one year, and have it be good for the following two years.