Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

#firstworldproblems - Companion pass/A-list disconnect

maddiegrant
Explorer C

So here's my firstworldproblem - my partner (business and life) and I travel Southwest all the time, so he got Companion status and put me on as his companion.  However, because I can't accrue points for any of my zillion flights as a companion, I've lost my A-list status. Sadface!!!  And it kills me every time that he gets A-16 and I get A-46!!  I know, I know. This is silly.  But I just wanted to say that it would be awesome if companions like me could get some kind of credit--not points, and not rewards, I get it, but just some kind of tracker - to acknowledge all the flights we take.  

I will say to keep myself happy I keep my A-list luggage tag on my carryon regardless of my lack of actual status. 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

Re: #firstworldproblems - Companion pass/A-list disconnect

DAL
Adventurer A

@maddiegrant,

It sounds like you're looking to acheive the same boarding position as your partner. Congratulations to both of you on your business and acheiving Companion Pass status, that's something I certainly wish I had!

While you probably won't twist Southwest's arm into bundling your boarding position directly behind his (the other A-listers probably wouldn't like that), you can always be excited that you get to fly for free and enjoy the seats in the middle (they actually offer a much smoother ride).

Congratulations on your status and happy flying!

Tyson
Explorer C

I totally agree.  But I have an alternative suggestion for Southwest...  I don't know of any companion pass members who don't sit next to their companions on the flight.  I hate the looks I get from other passengers when I save a seat.  Southwest should issue a "plus-1" or something on the member's boarding pass to allow my companion and I to board together.  Problem solved. 

maddiegrant
Explorer C

Love this idea!!!

xtingu
Explorer C

Looooove that idea! 

When I print my boarding pass and the system sees that I have a companion added to my trip, it could also print out a thingie that says "RESERVED FOR COMPANION" that I can place on my companion's reserved seat.

Even if it doesn't change my companion's boarding position, it would certainly help prevent (or respond to) the stink-eye and/or rude comments I sometimes get when I tell passengers I'm reserving that seat for my beau.  

(It's great for my ego, though. It's nice to know SOOOOO many people are just dying to sit next to me. Has nothing to do with that awesome two-person exit-row seat I'm guarding. Smiley LOL )

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

A sort of "A16.5" position for the companion...add a half to insert them into the order after the primary.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Swift
Explorer C

It is hard to believe that SWA intentionally puts customer who has earned the ability to use the Companion Pass in a position where they have to ward off others boarding between the two boarding positions.  "Thanks for your patronage, have a companion pass.  Oh, but now you must act like a jerk while your companion boards in a B50 position." 

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I hate to be the bad guy here- an dI think my companion should automatically get the position after me, too!- BUT I am 100% against the idea of saving seats- in fact any passanger has the right to select ANY UNOCCUPIED seat on the plane, that's the ONLY rule about this on SWA's website.  If you try to save a bulkhead or an exit row- even a front window with yoiur aisle, I am going to fight you and sit in the seat of my choice- PERIOD.

That said, when my companion gets a late B, I go to the back of the pland and grab an aisle and I  do put a jacket on the middle seat and avoid eye contact, but if someone asks, you HAVE TO GIVE IT UP. 

PERIOD.

Sporty
Explorer C

If you're the type that would take a saved seat and not allow someone to sit with their spouse, then I wouldn't want to sit next to you anyway. If someone is saving a seat for their daughter or wife, I would NEVER take that seat away from them. It's just a flight, for Pete's sake...not a lifetime commitment.