Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

hotel points towards companion pass?

brianseva
New Arrival

If I book a hotel through the SW website and it says I'll earn 7,000 points and the stay only costs $1000 do those 7,000 points count towards my companion pass qualification? I'm just short right now in points and want to be sure it goes over. Also, there are options to purchase more points for that same hotel booking. Would these count? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: hotel points towards companion pass?

jksobonya
Rising Star
Solution

Yes they do! Hotel points typically post a few weeks after check out in my experience. 

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

I can also confirm that yes, all the points earned from a hotel stay at a Points Plus property do count towards Companion Pass.  If you are booking the hotel strictly for the points and not because you actually need the stay I would suggest you hunt around for a better deal than 7000 points for $1000.  I was able to get 10,000 points for about $200 at a hotel in town that I checked in at the desk and then went home.  I used a combination of the points from the base reservation and the additional bonus points you can add on.

--TheMiddleSeat

brianseva
New Arrival

Thanks for the reply guys. If I am going next week do you think the points will hit my account before the end of the year? It's for Vegas and I need to be as close as possible to ARIA so thats the best bonus for where I'm going. 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

My experience was that points posted 2 or 3 days after the stay, but it does seem to vary by hotel. There was information last year that I think stated if the stay concluded before the end of the year then points would count toward the year the stay was in regardless of posting date, but I could be wrong and it's possible things have changed. I will see if I can find the old post.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

I found the now 2 year old information that does indicate as long as you complete the hotel stay before the end of the year the points will count in the year the stay completed.  Keep in mind this is dated info and references another hotel vendor, Rocketmiles, and not booking.com who is the current vendor.  I suspect it is still accurate, but be warned it could have changed.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/What-Counts-Toward-Tier-Status/ta-p/83739

--TheMiddleSeat